Minotaur (Kliché Overdrive)

fractal33

This is only my second attempt doing a waterslide decal and I had an extremely frustrating mishap with the border. The decal started moving around and appeared to be shrinking so I did my best to save face and get it as straight as I could, but I think I overworked it. I've watched and read quite a few tutorials on doing decals, but if anyone out there has any tips that might be useful please feel free to chime in.

The original basic minotaur picture was taken from google and I converted it to a vector and had some fun with it in Illustrator. I'm definitely going to give some more decal design a shot because this was a lot of fun and I'm sick of the label maker. The masking tape in the enclosure is temporary to get the snap out of the way until I find a more elegant solution. Not sure I'll ever get my builds as clean as some of you on here, but at least they are getting better. I took my time with this one, making sure to check every component with a MM before installing, and I didn't run into any issues. I even tested all the capacitors to find the ones that were the closest to the value called for on the build docs. I know some of them to have up to 20% tolerance, but I was surprised to find how many were way off from the printed value.

The pedal sounds awesome, but the low end seems a little flubby to me when the gain is all the way down. I have nothing to compare it to though and unfortunately, this is the problem that I run into often of building clones of pedals I've never played. I socketed the diodes so I might try playing around with those later to see if it has any impact.

All and all, fun build, great sounding pedal, and I'm really happy with how it turned out other than the mishap with the border of the decal. I just realized I'm on my 10th or so PedalPCB build and haven't done a build report until now. I will try to keep doing them in the future if I can remember.

Attachments

• IMG_2213.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
Looks really good, I've done quite a few waterslides, as for pointers, careful not to get your water too hot, just a tad warmer than tepid, really hot and they tend to stretch and distort, those little wiggles will bother you more than anyone else. Once you get it on the pedal and reasonably straight gently start to blot the excess water off and work air bubbles to the nearest exit, make any last adjustments and leave it the hell alone!

Last edited:
Looks really good, I've done quite a few waterslides, as for pointers, careful not to get your water too hot, just a tad warmer thsn tepid, really hot and they tend to stretch and distort, those little wiggles will bother you more than anyone else. Once you get it on the pedal and reasonably straight gently start to blot the excess water off and work air bubbles to the nearest exit, make any last adjustments and leave it the hell alone!
Thanks for the tip Barry! I used barely luke warm water but I added a tiny bit of vinegar to it because I read it helps soften the decal on a different forum, but I'm wondering if that actually made it worse. I played with it for far too long because every time I would fix something another issue popped up somewhere else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Barry! I used barely luke warm water but I added a tiny bit of vinegar to it because I read it helps soften the decal on a different forum, but I'm wondering if that actually made it worse. I played with it for far too long because every time I would fix something another issue popped up somewhere else.
I've never used vinegar

That looks great, and I dig the artwork and decal. Great stuff!

If you're using traditional waterslides you might want to check out Mico Sol and Micro Set. I used it when I built models and it works really well.

I'll have to check what I have, a bought an assload five years ago and still working through it

As an experiment, I just played through my old 10" Marshall MG practice amp (that I passionately despise the sound of) plugged into the emulated headphone output and this pedal turned it into a warm cranked tube amp to my ears. This build was actually for someone else, but luckily I ordered 2 boards. Definitely will be making one for myself now.

Back