Missing notifications?

giovanni

I have noticed that sometimes I stop getting notifications for threads I’m subscribed to. I have the impression that as the thread gets very large (like with 5-6 pages of responses) the notifications stop. This happened most recently with the “How many V” contest, for which I totally missed the winner announcement because I didn’t get a notification.

PedalPCB

Admin (Robert)
Staff member
I just "Watched" that thread and got a notification for a new post, so I'm not sure.

I do believe the forum software will limit the number of notifications you receive before you visit the watched thread again but I'm not sure if that's what might be happening here.

giovanni

Yeah actually it did resume sending notifications after I visited the thread. I wish there wasn’t such throttling though: if I subscribe to a thread I assume I’ll know about new posts regardless, no?

PedalPCB

Admin (Robert)
Staff member
Did a little digging...

This is by design. The forum will email you when a watched thread has activity since your last visit, it won't continue to email you for every reply after that until you visit the thread again. On a large thread with lots of watchers this would amount to quite a bit of "spam-like" emails and could end up causing the address to be blacklisted.

This doesn't apply to private conversations.

Anyone who participated in the "Let's buy Fig an oscilloscope!" conversation last year can probably appreciate this behavior. It was common to wake up to pages of email notifications every morning. (which is why there is now a "Disable notifications" button on private conversations)

Last edited:

giovanni

Gotcha. I never enable email notifications. I assume this also apply to the in-app notifications (the little bell at the top right corner)?

andare

Had the same issue. I checked my settings and I had to enable watching threads that I commented on. I think that was automatic before.