More gain and bass from Awful Waffle?

BurntFingers

I built this up, it doesn't sound very much like the hot cake. It's a light od but the gain seems to run out quite early on maximum and it's a very bright pedal whereas the original is a big fat wooly thing.

I was looking to increase the gain on tap and shift the sound to a more bassy tone to fatten it up.

Any ideas of what can be changed?

Don't want to "challenge" you but I've had my take on this built 6-7 times already and they all sounds great, beefy and way enough gain. Are you sure that all components are of the good value ?

As far as I recall everything is as it should be. I've owned 5 of the original pedal and this isn't like them. Maybe my cloned pedal sounds like yours too, but it doesn't sound like the original.

You're probably right, never had the chance to try an original.

I have a small clip there, at 3:15 with gain around noon :

There are schematics for two different versions of the Hot Cake, a 1977 version and a 2003 version.

The Awful Waffle is based on the 2003 version, which one are you comparing to?

They're both "similar", but there are a few differences between them.

I'd suggest providing images of your board and maybe troubleshooting. This circuit provides a lot of low-end and something seems off here.

Looks like that. As far as I recall all is as it should be and it sounds similar to the one posted above in the video.
lfolCLB_d.jpg

Alrighty. Confession time ish.

I pulled the ic and sprayed everything with deoxit just in case. Then I recalled that the cake operates sort of like a fuzz. You need to dime the crap out of the volume for it to open up. So that's what I did and it sounds like I remember.

Now I recall why I never kept them. The volume feeding into the gain means it becomes very difficult to balance it with a clean channel if you're using the cake as your main drive.

Crisis averted. User error strikes again.

Back