Mounting Switches to Stripboard

Typically vero is 2.54 mm between hole centres. If you purchase a switch with PCB pins that has this spacing it will fit.

Same spacing as SIP sockets, ICs etc.

There is some vero out there with 3.5mm pitch, but I've never come across it for sale, let alone in real life.

Typically vero is 2.54 mm between hole centres. If you purchase a switch with PCB pins that has this spacing it will fit.

Same spacing as SIP sockets, ICs etc.

There is some vero out there with 3.5mm pitch, but I've never come across it for sale, let alone in real life.
Thanks. Debating now where I should get them from....

I'd strongly suggest keeping toggle switches wired off board.
For starters, you'd have to have the vero component-side-down in the enclosure. It would also make troubleshooting difficult, and there's no way you'd be able to de-solder the switch without destroying the board.

I will be putting this on a daugherboard for breadboarding, so I'm ok with putting the switch directly on vero

Reactions: fig
https://guitarpcb.com/product/dpdt-wiring-board/
This is what you want. Put sockets in and you can use it over and over again with whatever components you want. I don't always recommend guitarpcb but their mod boards are some of the best
Interesting! Any idea of the layout/trace of the actual board? Trying to wrap my head about what lugs are connected on the board, particularly the center ones. Again, for breadboarding purposes.

if you look at the pictures it's pretty self explanatory what poles of the switch connect to what
DUH! The pins with the small box around them appear to be the center lugs of the switch and left/right sides are clearly marked. Sorry, dude...sometimes I just have to think it through with a nudge in the right direction. Appreciate it.

Do you know of other mod boards out there?

Delyk or Rullywow, can't remember which, has some Rotary-type boards — maybe both.

There's a few others out there, MAS, I think, has some clipping or cap-swapping type boards.

I'm always on the hunt for great utility stuff, but as thewintersoldier noted, GPCB's utility boards are pretty-durned good.

https://guitarpcb.com/product/dpdt-wiring-board/
This is what you want. Put sockets in and you can use it over and over again with whatever components you want. I don't always recommend guitarpcb but their mod boards are some of the best
Sorry, hijacking a little here, but any reason why guitarpcb is on the no fly list? I’ve done a few of their boards and although maybe not as high quality as the PedalPCB, not terrible. Is this an ethics thing?

Sorry, hijacking a little here, but any reason why guitarpcb is on the no fly list? I’ve done a few of their boards and although maybe not as high quality as the PedalPCB, not terrible. Is this an ethics thing?

I've built some GuitarPcb pedals, and they turned out great. I've put them in Build Reports and nobody complains :). (Same with Aion). I actually find their boards slightly easier to build because the pad size is larger. I will say that I notice in some cases GPCB tweaks their circuits a bit, so that might be off-putting if you're after a specific, more accurate representation of a circuit.

But overall, in the posts I've seen here everyone seems open to the other diy products, and I haven't witnessed any animosity towards the other PCB makers.

But this is the PPCB forum so obviously it's going to be mostly for PPCB content.

They have some great boards and folks (many are members here). Their forum software is a bit dated but the info coming out of it solid.

Reactions: spi
I've got a lot of GPCB, 'cause Barry always has sales and I'm a sucker for sales.

As spi noted, the circuits often contain some tweaks, such as reversing the order of a cap and resistor (thus turning a HPF into an LPF or vice versa. It was a bit off-putting at first, but now that I'm aware of this propensity, I keep an eye out for it and then just stick to the original circuit an put a resistor where a cap "should" go (according to the GPCB build doc) and a cap where the resistor was to be — or not, if I like the tweak.

Some of the GPCB tweaked variants are pretty cool, such as adding a boost to the Red Llama or Honey Bee. The Muff board is great for mods, and the utility boards as mentioned — I really like the 2knobjob and the Afterblaster has been a useful addition for a number of circuits that are known to struggle to achieve unity volume. The Double Shot is another boost I really like, 2 levels of boost.

For some circuits, I prefer this-or-that PCB-vendor and for other circuits vendor-X has a cool take on circuit A, while vendor-Z offers a really accurate version of classic-circuit B; some PCBs fit 1590A, other PCBs of the same circuit require a 1590BB...

I get whatever PCB best suits my build idea/plan.

The community here is great, the forum software is appealing, the project selection is vast and ever-growing, and I appreciate Mr PedalPCB's hosting the forum and efforts in accommodating the needs and suggestions of his customers.

Ok, it's 4am, enough rambling from me, a sure sign sleep is required...

Reactions: spi
All my early builds had off board pots. What a revelation I had when I discovered pcb mounted pots!
Absolfrigginlutely! I am totally on the “willing to try any brand if it’s the right circuit mentality” and have done plenty of guitarPCB builds. It’s where I fell in love with the tremulous lune circuit and the jumbo fuzz is still my go to for bass fuzz, but man, 5 off board pots was an unholy terror. I still order harder to find components from them on occasion.

Back