DEMO [Vero] Mu-Tron Phasor II

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

the MXR phase 90 build i did few weeks ago was my first phaser experience.
wasn’t expecting to enjoy phasers this much.
and then @jimilee dropped anecdotes of stacking phasers and notes of leslie / rotary sounds… (gish is absolutely my favourite SP album)
so i knew i had to try and build something else…

-vero layout-

just looking at this layout got me all excited before i even knew what this was, sounded like, or had even heard of a Mu-Tron..

never done a circuit with LDRs before.
35 jumpers. 70 track cuts. 6 ICs. (well, x7 if you include the chargepump...)
heck. this is the biggest vero board i’ve ever done.

569DA7FD-5DBD-4DF6-A138-4834DAC290AC.jpeg B3A07941-D91A-4D02-8501-0D2C33430290.jpeg 39C46C4A-E960-44E6-B882-51488C8C20B9.jpeg

bit of a squeeze...
FD2A98C8-292B-4706-A20F-37160CF563CB.jpeg

013C506D-2035-4B6A-8479-B4323A3D938C.jpeg

(ran out of dymo strip last night, still yet to apply 'in' and 'out' labels...)
D7EA5D96-8C32-4734-A49B-BD109AD0E112.jpeg 187543D7-3DA0-4A81-B618-F2660F93E319.jpeg 898E507E-6377-4126-8069-31A0C038FA41.jpeg

first power up:

- genuine tayda-sourced ICL7660S: - hi freq noise :(

- swapped for a TC1044SCPA - hi freq. noise gone :)

- then i noticed i was getting some ticking.
i was almost okay with this, but then i noticed it was ticking in bypass as well!!
1673918404008.jpeg
rick-and-mortey-disqualified.gif

for me, noise in bypass is absolutely not acceptable.
pondered this for a bit. had done all the right things, used a low current IC for the LFO (TL082) etc.

then i had a lightbulb 💡 "guess what, when you use cliff jacks, none of the ground circuit (or any jack sleeve) has any continuity to the enclosure (= no shielding)"
so i loosened up the input jack, stripped a wire end, snuck it in there, so that the wire makes contact with the bare surface of the drilled hole, tightened up the jack, wire secured firmly. then soldered the other end to the star ground (at the input jack).
result - all noise completely gone 😎

- then i actually got to play the thing...

at first, when playing a slow rate, my impression was that the phasing pattern was weird/wrong/'lop-sided', and perhaps i had poorly selected the LDRs, or the LFO was 'off'.

i twiddled with those trimmers for quite some time, and i just couldn't get it sound like what i thought was 'correct'.

in my mind, the phasing pattern appeared to sound like this:
1673920068670.png
(my perception was that the "downward" phasing was moving at a much shorter/quicker duration than the "upward" phase)

as i pondered, i thought "ohh maybe it's the LFO", "maybe that 470n cap (which actually measured at 490n) isn't close enough to the target value"
- so changed the '490n' cap to a piggybacked pair of 390n+82n that i had on hand (measured 475n).
of course this changed bugger all.
i then felt even sillier after confirming this with a very useful link/tool provided by @Chuck D. Bones on his LFO thread:
LFO triangle wave generator

then i spent a lot of time reading every "Phase II" thread on this forum, and threads with the 'LDR' in the subject line, in an attempt to understand them a little bit more.

- so last night i pulled out all the LDRs and re-measured my batch of 12.
- essentially selected the closest group of 6 by measuring resistances of each LDR under same conditions, and then varying the lighting at each stage of selection (bright, warm, low light).
Unsure if this actually did anything significant.
Confirmation bias would have me believe that the phasing sounds more 'balanced' now. I really don't know.

anyway, here's a quick demo I did last night before dinner:
(starts off real slow, then fast, then medium at the end)

Last edited:
Ok now build another for a duo phase! Awesome job man looks and sounds great. Veros like that just inspire me to spend 12$ and buy a board 😂

That's awesome. Kudos for such a mammoth vero build! Sounds great.
cheers, i appreciate the kind words.
looking back, i was mildly daunted.. but after having done it …it really wasn’t much more difficult than doing the phase 90 or CE-2, it just takes longer.

Ok now build another for a duo phase! Awesome job man looks and sounds great. Veros like that just inspire me to spend 12$ and buy a board 😂
haha i’m not sure i could even fit a vero duo in a 1590XX.. (i almost bailed on trying to fit it in the 1590BB2)

thanks! turns out the tayda chrome finish scratches/marks very easily.. but ah well im just glad the neve knobs ended up suiting it the way i had in mind

hahah fair call, it took me a few hours just to get the board where it’s ready for resistors, caps etc. (not that it bothers me, i have the time for it, and i get a rewarding buzz out of it….when it works lol)

Most excellent! As a vero-builder, I can appreciate what a great build you have there. That's a big-a$$ piece of stripboard! Really nice work, and it sounds great,

cheers, i appreciate the kind words.
looking back, i was mildly daunted.. but after having done it …it really wasn’t much more difficult than doing the phase 90 or CE-2, it just takes longer.

haha i’m not sure i could even fit a vero duo in a 1590XX.. (i almost bailed on trying to fit it in the 1590BB2)

thanks! turns out the tayda chrome finish scratches/marks very easily.. but ah well im just glad the neve knobs ended up suiting it the way i had in mind

hahah fair call, it took me a few hours just to get the board where it’s ready for resistors, caps etc. (not that it bothers me, i have the time for it, and i get a rewarding buzz out of it….when it works lol)
There is for sure a sense of accomplishment when you first fire up that vero and it works.

The best phaser (phasor)…
i’m loving it so far.
it’s certainly got a big range, and compared to my phase 90 build, it’s quite ‘hi-fi’.
but then the phase 90 has this unbeatable simplicity and pleasant lo-fi swooshyness that the mutron doesn’t have.

Most excellent! As a vero-builder, I can appreciate what a great build you have there. That's a big-a$$ piece of stripboard! Really nice work, and it sounds great,
cheers 🤟
yeah it’s pretty big haha.. had a great time building it though.
yeah i’m pleasantly surprised how clean and low noise this build is considering the charge pump and lfo etc.
somehow vero seems to hold up 🤷‍♂️

There is for sure a sense of accomplishment when you first fire up that vero and it works.
absolutely! love that feeling.

My first vero build erupted in flames…and I didn’t even power it yet!…
hahaha yes, i wanna hear this story..

Back