SOLVED Muffin Factory: DIP switch board orientation

jeffwhitfield

Hey folks,

So, I'm in the middle of finalizing a Muffin Factory build. However, while putting together the DIP switch board, I discovered what could potentially be a colossal f#$%-up. Seems the switch assignments don't line up with the labels on the faceplate. So...did I screw up and install the DIP switches and pin headers on the wrong side? Seemed logical to install the DIP switches on the printed side. I'm super concerned about soldering these on the board if they're not correct. Way, way too hard to desolder these off the DIP switch board as it is...definitely don't want to add to the pain. :p

IMG_0005.jpeg

They look to me as if they are on the wrong side. I don't do well at desoldering many pinned components either. I must get a desolder hot gun sometime. In the meantime I would probably very carefully use a dremel or a hacksaw etc to cut them apart so that you only have to desolder 1 or 2 pins at a time.

Reactions: fig
Install it as usual, nothing is wrong.

The labels on the dipswitch module are for visual reference when the module is installed inside the enclosure (the order would be reversed since you're looking at them from inside).

The labels aren't visible when the module is installed for external use (as you are doing).

(The dipswitch module is symmetrical electrically, so it doesn't matter which direction you install it)

Install it as usual, nothing is wrong.

The labels on the dipswitch module are for visual reference when the module is installed inside the enclosure (the order would be reversed since you're looking at them from inside).

The labels aren't visible when the module is installed for external use (as you are doing).

(The dipswitch module is symmetrical electrically, so it doesn't matter which direction you install it)
Perfect! Good to know! 👍😁

you might do a test fit to see if you are OK with where the switches are on the outside when they are flush to the mounting board. if you want them just a bit higher (maybe to clear the faceplate) you probably have a little bit of room to lift them up and still solder the pins. you can try toothpicks under them for a bit of lift for example.

Any advice on installing those DIP switches? Or just push em down all the way and solder?

Install the dipswitch module into the main PCB but don't solder it in place.

Dry fit the whole assembly into your enclosure and set the height by pushing on the pins from the back. Once it's at the height you want make sure it's level and solder in place. It might help to solder one of the corner pins then ensure it's sitting level, then solder the opposite corner then all remaining pins.

Also, I would consider finding a way to socket the board as well. That way you don't have to solder it directly to the main PCB. The reason is that if you have to fix an issue with the main PCB, you can just pull the DIP switch board off without have to desolder the whole thing. I didn't do that and kind of regret it.

OK. My board is mostly done except the pots and switches. This would be the way to mount it, right? The DIP switch board on top of the underside of the main board? I have the enclosure all drilled out and want these switches external.
1644506557255.png
Also, I would consider finding a way to socket the board as well. That way you don't have to solder it directly to the main PCB. The reason is that if you have to fix an issue with the main PCB, you can just pull the DIP switch board off without have to desolder the whole thing. I didn't do that and kind of regret it.
You mean socket the switches themselves or the header pins? I tested all the DIP switches and they're all good.

OK. My board is mostly done except the pots and switches. This would be the way to mount it, right? The DIP switch board on top of the underside of the main board? I have the enclosure all drilled out and want these switches external.
View attachment 22837

You mean socket the switches themselves or the header pins? I tested all the DIP switches and they're all good.
The header pins. I permanently soldered the headers and wish I hadn’t. Otherwise, if there’s a problem with any of the components on the main board you’re gonna ha a problem replacing them. Socket the headers and you won’t have that problem.

Back