Muroidea Scoop Control

DGWVI

Dickin around with a Muroidea board today, and added some mods I think others might be into.

You'll notice a few component changes on the board to push a bit more bass and leave a smidge more high end intact, but the biggest mod is the addition of the scoop control (bridged-t filter). I pretty much lifted it directly from the ZVex Octane, using the Rats 22n instead of the 1n in the Octane, but it works wonderfully with the Rat circuit. The two resistors tied to the Scoop pot are both 10k.

The scoop does of course kill some output volume, but the Rat pushes enough that it can be compensated for, as the vid demonstrates.

No diode clippers at all, and I'm using an LM709

received_2195480707295987.jpeg

Last edited:
Dickin around with a Muroidea board today, and added some mods I think others might be into.

You'll notice a few component changes on the board to push a bit more bass and leave a smidge more high end intact, but the biggest mod is the addition of the scoop control. I pretty much lifted it directly from the ZVex Octane, using the Rats 22n instead of the 1n in the Octane, but it works wonderfully with the Rat circuit. The two resistors tied to the Scoop pot are both 10k.

The scoop does of course kill some output volume, but the Rat pushes enough that it can be compensated for, as the vid demonstrates.

No diode clippers at all, and I'm using an LM709

View attachment 33430
Left out of the drawing are the subs for the 1M resistors-I changed all of those to 2M2 for that Turbo Rat flava.

I’m definitely interested. I might stripboard this.

Playing around with Duncan's Tone Stack Calculator to tweak this a bit more. As is it is, it scoops about 10db around 350hz.
received_530907102367895.jpeg
Swapping the 10ks to 4.7k, and the 100n to 220n gives about a 15db scoop at 500hz, and attenuates the highs around 1db more than the previous values
received_486539106700228.jpeg
Plugging the values from Frantone's peach fuzz gives a HUGE scoop around 250hz, which is also about the same as the color knobs on the HM-2 cranked
received_479043914238924.jpeg

Haven't physically tried these yet, but I'm gonna whip up a socketed daughterboard and play around, and probably make another vid demonstrating each

1665018624656.png

If you can hack it in, I think the shredmaster 'contour' control is a slightly more awesome version of the variable notch. It sort of renders the filter control obsolete so you can keep the pedal to a responsible 3 knobs.

Back