MXL990 pcb

ive done this kit. i gutted an mca sp1 and replaced everything with the u47 style kit. it really sounds fantastic. the capsule is the important part, probably responsible for 95ish% of the sound. at least they do a good job sourcing a quality capsule. but i agree the wiring kit is v pricey.

Last edited:
ive done this kit. i gutted an mca sp1 and replaced everything with the u47 style kit. it really sounds fantastic. the capsule is the important part, they do a good job sourcing a quality capsule. but i agree the wiring kit is v pricey.

I have an MXL 990 and two of old version (not surface mount) SP1's. Would love to mod them but there has to be a lower cost way to do it

I am interested anyone want to explain the benefits of this mic?

They're mainly low cost decent mics that people seem to like to mod out for better performance.
Sorta like diy botique pedals etc. Of course there is no pedalpcb equivalent offering great pcbs AND low cost diy.

A lot of the pcb components leave something to be desired - and it's a great start to improving the mic

I'd have to get my hands on the PCB for physical dimensions, aside from that I don't see any reason it couldn't be done.

If you're interested in doing this - I would be willing to send you the (stock populated) PCBs for both the MXL990 and an SP1.

They're pretty darn simple boards. Component count and density is WAY less complex. Should be a piece of cake for you!
The SP1 is a "dual" or rather two boards (one on each side) - see pic and not quite "square" shape.
The MXL990 is single board and "round"

Attachments

• mca sp1.png
    mca sp1.png
    888 KB · Views: 23
  • MXL990.jpg
    MXL990.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
They're mainly low cost decent mics that people seem to like to mod out for better performance.
Sorta like diy botique pedals etc. Of course there is no pedalpcb equivalent offering great pcbs AND low cost diy.

A lot of the pcb components leave something to be desired - and it's a great start to improving the mic
the biggest reason for the mod (according my pic parts - and im inclined to agree based on my experience w these and similar mics) is that the MXL suffers from not having a high end correction circuit. the ultra high end (above 10k) is very present and more than a litlte strident.

the biggest reason for the mod (according my pic parts - and im inclined to agree based on my experience w these and similar mics) is that the MXL suffers from not having a high end correction circuit. the ultra high end (above 10k) is very present and more than a litlte strident.

Yeah - I would think if one was creating a new pcb it would be with the "best" of the mods incorporated

Yeah - I would think if one was creating a new pcb it would be with the "best" of the mods incorporated
as far as i know, all the LDC retrofit kits use the same transformerless schoeps-derived circuit. the option is there at time of building to choose what type of high end eq you want through cap selection

as far as i know, all the LDC retrofit kits use the same transformerless schoeps-derived circuit. the option is there at time of building to choose what type of high end eq you want through cap selection

Or install a rotary switch with different cap values at each position.

I am interested I have been looking at DIY mics and modding for some time but most of them are kits beyond the DIY audio forum. I just haven't had the time or accessibility to jump in maybe this is where I start. Would this be good for guitar mic'ing or vocals.

Pedalpcb, I have an extra Mxl990 pcb populated but never used it. I also have extra U87 clone boards I could send.

I'd be all for checking them out. I'm running a little slow right now, but should hopefully be back to normal in a week or two.

Shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

Back