My first order of custom designed PCBs (very simple, but I'm happy)--it even works!

p_wats

I had some time a while back and decided to learn DipTrace. I've been making the same variation of a Bazz Fuss circuit for years now as band merch (a local independent shop also asks for them on occasion) and figured I'd finally try my own PCB.

I made two layouts, one that is through-hole and another that is partially SMD, to get my feet wet there. They look great, but I'll have to see if they actually work! (I'm totally jinxing it by posting first. ?)

I ordered through JLCPCB, as they were the cheapest I could find. We'll see how they hold up!

2020-11-13 12.31.02.jpg

BurntFingers

Hey nice work man and congratulations. Jlc do an amazing job. I use them to fabricate my commercial boards.

I got a batch of this new thing yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC_0028-03.jpeg
    DSC_0028-03.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 38

BurntFingers

Very cool. What is it?

It's a drive pedal design I cooked up using a dual gang pot to control 1 gain stage per opamp, one soft clipping with leds from 1khz-2khz, the other soft clipping with 914s and 400hz to -1.2khz, then through a bmt tone stack and out through a buffer, although well see how volume is after the tone stack which might take a fair chunk of it.

Each stage has a gain of around 40 so we'll see what happens. That's not crazy gain by any means. This is so far just the prototype. I've got the 1590bb in the mail to house it as I couldn't get it comfortably in a 125b, plus they don't look as cool.

p_wats

It's a drive pedal design I cooked up using a dual gang pot to control 1 gain stage per opamp, one soft clipping with leds from 1khz-2khz, the other soft clipping with 914s and 400hz to -1.2khz, then through a bmt tone stack and out through a buffer, although well see how volume is after the tone stack which might take a fair chunk of it.

Each stage has a gain of around 40 so we'll see what happens. That's not crazy gain by any means. This is so far just the prototype. I've got the 1590bb in the mail to house it as I couldn't get it comfortably in a 125b, plus they don't look as cool.
Sounds cool!

p_wats

Success! I don't have the SMD parts for the other version yet, but the through-hole board works and they are from the same schematic, so I'm confident.

You don't know how much I needed this win. I've been feeling defeated by the last few (FV-1) builds and, as simple a circuit as it is, the fact that my first custom PCB works helps a lot.

20201113_173950.jpg

Jovi Bon Kenobi

Success! I don't have the SMD parts for the other version yet, but the through-hole board works and they are from the same schematic, so I'm confident.

You don't know how much I needed this win. I've been feeling defeated by the last few (FV-1) builds and, as simple a circuit as it is, the fact that my first custom PCB works helps a lot.

View attachment 7684
Congrats! That is super! You must be so stoked.

Nostradoomus

I just get JLC to pick n place the SMD parts for me, doesn’t cost much more. With as low of parts count as that is I can see not bothering though! :)

HamishR

Well there's just so much to like with this story. I am impressed that you did your own PCB - something I want to do one day. And I really like the logo. And the fact that it's your own design. A PCB is a small thing but the whole story is not. Next thing we know is you'll be in competition with PedalPCB! Congrats.

p_wats

Well there's just so much to like with this story. I am impressed that you did your own PCB - something I want to do one day. And I really like the logo. And the fact that it's your own design. A PCB is a small thing but the whole story is not. Next thing we know is you'll be in competition with PedalPCB! Congrats.
Thanks! I can only take so much credit, as the circuit itself is very common. I haven't changed much at all from Forrest Whiteside's Onesie Fuzz version (he once ordered me some custom boards of his with our band name on them too), but I prefer this orientation with board mounted pot, etc.

p_wats

2020-12-10 13.53.55.jpg

Got some parts in this week and was able to confirm the hybrid SMD/THT version works as well.

I have a full SMD layout, but have so many of the through hole diodes/caps/transistors for this circuit it didn't seem work it yet.