Mysterioso-blackstone appliance mosfet overdrive deluxe

thewintersoldier

I've had this board since it was released and like many of us don't get to it cause we get distracted by other builds. Well this weekend has been very productive. Since everyone slept in the past could days I was able to get up early and knock out two builds. Gotta get it in while I can. This is a really cool one spend about an hour with it on the test rig before boxing. Tried with numerous guitars and its good with all of them. Can do low to semi high gain and with two channels and lots of tone shaping control between the tone (mids control) and internal dip switches you can tailor to any rig. I prefer the reactive mode because you get excellent volume knob cleanup and dynamics. No film on tayda enclosure. I took the route Brian did for his graphic and went with Mysterio. Another great layout and pedal from Brian. Highly recommend for a different style of drive pedal.
NZWdT5H.jpg
i8lgOln.jpg

TravisM

The amount of solder fill on the pads for the switches and pots is much less than what I do. Am I overdoing it or is this a bit underfilled?

thewintersoldier

The amount of solder fill on the pads for the switches and pots is much less than what I do. Am I overdoing it or is this a bit underfilled?
You don't have to fill completely. I do about half of each pad. It's a super strong connection still. Also, in the event a switch fails and needs to be replaced in the future it's much easier to desolder. Lastly you have less chance of overhead any of the terminals.

jubal81

Very nice! It's a good sounding circuit.
I haven't boxed mine up yet because I've been meaning to swap out some of the pots for ones with a C taper.

Reactions: fig

thewintersoldier

Very nice! It's a good sounding circuit.
I haven't boxed mine up yet because I've been meaning to swap out some of the pots for ones with a C taper.
I think gain 2 being a traditional gain control could benefit from a C taper. Gain 1 being I wouldn't change because in the center it's cleanest and gain structure is different depending if you go cw or ccw. I could see maybe changing the volume to logarithmic taper but that's not as big an issue. But I agree a great circuit and the most touch sensitive low medium drive I've played in a long time, like ge ff cleanup.

Reactions: fig

music6000

I think gain 2 being a traditional gain control could benefit from a C taper. Gain 1 being I wouldn't change because in the center it's cleanest and gain structure is different depending if you go cw or ccw. I could see maybe changing the volume to logarithmic taper but that's not as big an issue. But I agree a great circuit and the most touch sensitive low medium drive I've played in a long time, like ge ff cleanup.
I thought you might go all the way on the pots like this, You liking a challenge!!! : :D
NZWdT5H 2.jpg

thewintersoldier

As @jubal81 suggested about taper, I changed the gain 2 pot to a C500k pot from linear. The result was a very nice range from clean to dirty. I tried different tapers for gain 1 but as I thought the knob no longer functioned as it should. Great pedal.

Last edited: