New Affordable UA interfaces

Bobbyd67

I don't record anything I play either , and I haven't really played regularly even since the kids ... But think I got the same tingle down there too .... Or that's maybe just the post vasectomy - testicular infection I got last Friday xD ... I wouldn't wish that shit to my worst enemies :x

peccary

I don't record anything I play either , and I haven't really played regularly even since the kids ... But think I got the same tingle down there too .... Or that's maybe just the post vasectomy - testicular infection I got last Friday xD ... I wouldn't wish that shit to my worst enemies :x
Yikes! Hope you are doing well, man. That doesn't sound like much fun.

Reactions: fig

peccary

I don't know what it is about interfaces that is so appealing but I get it too, even though I've yet to find an interface that has the configuration I want
I ended up getting a mixer with 4x4 USB interface built in (Zedi10FX) as I really appreciate tactile feedback where I can get it. I have a wacky setup with an MPC feeding a stereo signal in to the mixer along with a line for bass/guitar/mic and another for a synth, and then the main outs from mixer in to the MPC. Kinda weird and has it's quirks, but it keeps me off the computer. I can feed it to the PC as well through USB, so I can get to Reaper when I need to. Sometimes you just gotta wing it to get what you want.

Preverb

I am looking to buy an interface. I looked at the UA Apollo because they have some great plugins. Unfortunately it sounds like you don't get access to those with this budget line of interfaces. Given that they are a budget level, I don't know what sets them apart from other options like the Focusrite Scarlet etc. A massive part of the USB interfaces is not about the hardware but how well optimized the USB drivers are.

There is a player on youtube called Sam Vilo that uses UA reverb and delay algorithms and creates a huge sounding blooming sort of reverb. It would have been awesome to have access to those plugins at a budget level.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/universal-audio-volt-usb-audio-interfaces
"It’s worth pointing out immediately that none of these interfaces supports the DSP-powered UAD plugins - you’ll still need an Apollo if you want to run any of those - but all of the Volts (there are five in total) do include a Vintage Mic Preamp mode."

Harry Klippton

Can you expand on this a bit? Like a pass-through?
I have good outboard mic pres, but then everything ends up getting colored by the onboard mic preamps in my budget interface, and I have to wrestle with the gain staging. I just need the interface for the A/D conversion and routing I guess

Cucurbitam0schata

If you already have a DAW that you like, these units seem pretty great. Looks like UA's new Volt interfaces do not come with Luna.

My band splurged for an Apollo unit a couple years ago, and the Apollo's come with UA's Luna recording software. Since we didn't have any recording software that we already invested in, it's been a great win-win. I'm familiar with a few other DAW's from back in the day, but haven't used ProTools or Logic or anything recently. UA's Luna recording software is pretty great, and they've been patching and updating it rapidly since their rollout. Bonus, all the plug-ins that come with the Apollo units are solid.

Now, we just have to finish recording the album...

Harry Klippton

Are you using the line-level inputs? They should bypass the preamp.
You know now that we're talking about it, I think I already had a solution to my problem but you know how it goes- we get distracted or have simply too much stuff and not enough time. I think I just need to incorporate a mixer, that I already HAVE, into my process 🙃

My better interface has much more transparent pres but only 2 in, 2 out, and I just need to run those two outs to a mixer where I can run the rest of my outboard processing. Of course this would require actually recording music. Ya know

bowanderror

I am looking to buy an interface. I looked at the UA Apollo because they have some great plugins. Unfortunately it sounds like you don't get access to those with this budget line of interfaces. Given that they are a budget level, I don't know what sets them apart from other options like the Focusrite Scarlet etc. A massive part of the USB interfaces is not about the hardware but how well optimized the USB drivers are.

There is a player on youtube called Sam Vilo that uses UA reverb and delay algorithms and creates a huge sounding blooming sort of reverb. It would have been awesome to have access to those plugins at a budget level.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/universal-audio-volt-usb-audio-interfaces
"It’s worth pointing out immediately that none of these interfaces supports the DSP-powered UAD plugins - you’ll still need an Apollo if you want to run any of those - but all of the Volts (there are five in total) do include a Vintage Mic Preamp mode."
The lack of UAD chip is a real interest-killer for me. Even the free UAD plugins sound great, and similar plugs often have a massive CPU hit.

The only things that stand out are the Vintage Preamp Mode & built-in 1176 FET compressor. Interestingly, the compressor is not "a digital emulation; rather, it's a real-deal analog compressor... includes three easy-to-use push-button modes for Vocals, Guitars, & Fast sources". I'd be interested to see a schematic for that, as the 1176 is not a simple circuit by any means. The Vintage Preamp Mode is supposedly based on the UA 610, but rather than tube, it "employs expertly designed op-amps & solid-state electronics".

bowanderror

I just got a louder than liftoff implode module for my colour palette so I guess I'm all set for an 1176 too
That's a cool module, how does it sound? I've always wondered how the Colour Palette's single pre/post-gain control would react to a limiter like the Implode.

duffy_lane

I'm also in the market for an interface.
Does anyone here have experience with PCI(E) sound card setups? I'm thinking RME HDSP 9632 + Behringer ADA8200 via optical. It's hard for me to justify another usb interface when that setup is cheaper than an apollo x, plus, I don't use any UAD plugins.

If that doesn't work out I'm probably going with the new motu https://motu.com/de/products/gen5/ultralite-mk5/