New guitar amp

Travis

Hi everyone! I wanna build one new amp, I love Big clean tones witch a touch of breakup and amps to use with some pedals.

I'm looking ti build jtm45 with ppmv or one TMB 18 watts.

Wich ones Will be better ?

I usually like to play with telecaster, Kliche (Klon) and Paragon (kot)

Thanks for the help guys

I am no amp expert, but I would say go with the 18 watt one. It should still get pretty loud and clean, but you will have that touch of breakup at more reasonable volumes.

Actually just noticed the master volume note for the jtm 45, so that would be a good decision too, maybe even better if the cleans are nicer.

I’m sure others can chime in on the tone and what not. Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks ! I'm agree with you but Im not sure.

I never played a real jtm45 or 18 watts TMB

I can speak eloquently on this subject as I have built both. If you want big clean sounds then jtm45 with effects loop and master volume and kt66 tubes is your amp. I would check out valvestorm for parts and you can use the old metro amps kit instructions and have a really great walk through. With single coils and a little delay and reverb it is an intoxicating sound.

Without a master volume it gets very loud, like very loud.

Now I have a trinity amps sIII and it is a great sounding amp. The tmb side has some incredible clean sounds and the other channel breaks up early and is a rock and roll machine. This is a better option for jamming around the house without blowing your ears out. I think the 18 watt is a great option for “quieter” playing.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either option just different levels of loud!

I can speak eloquently on this subject as I have built both. If you want big clean sounds then jtm45 with effects loop and master volume and kt66 tubes is your amp. I would check out valvestorm for parts and you can use the old metro amps kit instructions and have a really great walk through. With single coils and a little delay and reverb it is an intoxicating sound.

Without a master volume it gets very loud, like very loud.

Now I have a trinity amps sIII and it is a great sounding amp. The tmb side has some incredible clean sounds and the other channel breaks up early and is a rock and roll machine. This is a better option for jamming around the house without blowing your ears out. I think the 18 watt is a great option for “quieter” playing.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either option just different levels of loud!
Thanks you very much!

The 18 watts kit I look comes with el84, maybe jtm Ia the way for deep cleans

Thanks you very much!

The 18 watts kit I look comes with el84, maybe jtm Ia the way for deep cleans

Yeah for that big bold clean sound i would go that route. I love el84 cleans but they are more focused.

If that makes sense, kind of hard to describe sound. Didn’t Frank Zappa say its like dancing about architecture or something?

For the jtm 45 layout from tube town it provides the schematic to use el34 power tubes. To use kt 66 tubes you would need to change the bias resistors r105 to 15k and r106 to 68k and possibly the screen resistors.

If you are new to building amps and doing those steps seems to much it might be better to stick with the 18watt kit. I would also recommend heading to valvestorm to download the metro amps jtm45 kit guide as it takes you step by step in building that style of amp.

I would always check with the manufacturer or supplier of the power transformer as to whether it can support the power tubes you want to use. But I would say that if the PT can run EL34s it should be fine with KT66s.

My only reservation with building anything with KT66s is that good KT66s are difficult to come by. Jjjimi is spot-on though when he says that a JTM45 will have a BIG clean sound. And his recommendation of Valve Storm is spot-on as well. The chassis and hardware from Valve Storm are as good as it gets. You can use KT66s, EL34s or 6L6s in a JTM45 usually. I like KT77s which are like a really good EL34.

I've built the TMB MV 18W amp from Trinity and it's not bad but not as big a sound as the JTM45. As Jjjimi says though you can get it sounding good at potentially lower volumes. The other Marshall I would look at - and it is louder again than a JTM45 - would be the 1987. When built in a '67-68 spec it is one of my favourite amps. The low end is more solid than a JTM45s, which can get a bit flabby with extreme drive. It has beautiful cleans if you link the channels with a patch cord and when cranked there are few better sounds in rock'n'roll - and few places you can play that loud unfortunately. But it does take pedals well.

As a pedal platform, a great gigging amp, and something with exceptional clean tones I would recommend something like a Fender tweed Bassman built as a 2x10 or 1x12. You can buy kits for a 5F6-A Bassman and put the chassis in a range of cabinets - Mojotone could probably built you a cab with both a 2x10 baffle and a 1x12 baffle, for example. I have built a few 1x12 Bassmans with Mojo cabs and they sound awesome. After all, the JTM45 was heavily based on the 5F6-A Bassman. The Bassman sounds sweeter and the JTM45 a little more rock, but for the volumes we generally have to play these days the Bassman is possibly a better all-rounder.

I build one 5E3 and I like it but I can´t use it with more than 2 on volume, becouse the sound starts being muddy and doesnt take pedals.

Wich speaker will you recommend for 5F6A 1x12? Thanks :)
I would always check with the manufacturer or supplier of the power transformer as to whether it can support the power tubes you want to use. But I would say that if the PT can run EL34s it should be fine with KT66s.

My only reservation with building anything with KT66s is that good KT66s are difficult to come by. Jjjimi is spot-on though when he says that a JTM45 will have a BIG clean sound. And his recommendation of Valve Storm is spot-on as well. The chassis and hardware from Valve Storm are as good as it gets. You can use KT66s, EL34s or 6L6s in a JTM45 usually. I like KT77s which are like a really good EL34.

I've built the TMB MV 18W amp from Trinity and it's not bad but not as big a sound as the JTM45. As Jjjimi says though you can get it sounding good at potentially lower volumes. The other Marshall I would look at - and it is louder again than a JTM45 - would be the 1987. When built in a '67-68 spec it is one of my favourite amps. The low end is more solid than a JTM45s, which can get a bit flabby with extreme drive. It has beautiful cleans if you link the channels with a patch cord and when cranked there are few better sounds in rock'n'roll - and few places you can play that loud unfortunately. But it does take pedals well.

As a pedal platform, a great gigging amp, and something with exceptional clean tones I would recommend something like a Fender tweed Bassman built as a 2x10 or 1x12. You can buy kits for a 5F6-A Bassman and put the chassis in a range of cabinets - Mojotone could probably built you a cab with both a 2x10 baffle and a 1x12 baffle, for example. I have built a few 1x12 Bassmans with Mojo cabs and they sound awesome. After all, the JTM45 was heavily based on the 5F6-A Bassman. The Bassman sounds sweeter and the JTM45 a little more rock, but for the volumes we generally have to play these days the Bassman is possibly a better all-rounder.

Anyones know if 18w TMB have more headroom than 5e3? thanks :)

Yes it does. I made a bunch of videos on my 5e3 build and the mods I did to correct that low headroom issue. I kept the normal channel stock and altered the bright channel. It made it a much more versatile amp. That may be a route you go for before you build another amp.

But then again I highly recommend building all of the amps, all of them.

I've built a few 5E3s and avoided the mushy breakup thing. It's not difficult and involves a few relatively simple mods. If you want to go the whole hog I recommend using a Mercury Magnetics Fat Stack power transformer - these transformers have been a huge game changer for me. They allow more current to pass so let the lows though much better without sagging and sounding congested.

Which means reducing the amount of lows in the amp sometimes, and especially in a 5E3. You can do this by reducing the size of the coupling caps and/or the cathode bypass caps. I also like to use a choke in place of the 5K resistor between the first two filter caps. For speakers I love the Celestion Gold, but a G12H sounds great too.

And again, I completely agree with jjjimi - build 'em all! FWIW I really like the classic 18W circuit with the tremolo. I've built the classic circuit and the TMB version and the tremolo channel is my favourite.

I'm working on my 5E3 right now, stock build, but can't wait to try a few of the mods suggested here.

I do like a lot of low end though, so ...

Back