New member, first time builder!

megatrav

Hey forum members,

I am brand new to the forum and brand new to pedal building. I have been doing as much homework as I can and looking at the different PCBs. For my first build I am going to go for the Sunflower fuzz. It doesn't have a lot of parts and seems like it would be fun!

I have been looking over previous threads as well as the beginner thread showing some basics. The only thing I have not been able to find an answer to is what voltage rating the capacitors should be? Also, what material would be best for this specific build? Or would they all be treated the same?

Thanks in advance for any answers! If there are threads that already touch on this topic, please feel free to leave a link for me as well.

I figured I'd run into you here eventually :p The material for the caps isn't super important, I personally like multilayer ceramic for smaller caps (like the 10nF) but polyester film box caps look a bit classier for a few more cents a piece. Aluminum electrolytics is probably what you'll want for the bigger caps.

Forthe 10nF cap you'll probably have a hard time finding anything less than 50V, which is of course fine. If you're going to run the pedal at 9V I would recommend using at least 16V caps for the electrolytics.

Good luck!

-Nathan

I guess I have a follow up question. It looks like the NKT275's are hard to find. I have read that pretty much any germanium one can be swapped. How about silicon? Would I need to change any other values of the circuit? I don't want to get in over my head at all.

I figured I'd run into you here eventually :p The material for the caps isn't super important, I personally like multilayer ceramic for smaller caps (like the 10nF) but polyester film box caps look a bit classier for a few more cents a piece. Aluminum electrolytics is probably what you'll want for the bigger caps.

Forthe 10nF cap you'll probably have a hard time finding anything less than 50V, which is of course fine. If you're going to run the pedal at 9V I would recommend using at least 16V caps for the electrolytics.

Good luck!

-Nathan
Thanks Nathan!

There are a few options you can substitute for the transistors, I would still recommend keeping germanium as that's the real fuzz face tone. You just need to make sure it's a PNP transistor with low leakage and an Hfe value between 40 and 70. I like AC128 as they're a little easier to find, but these are a good option as well.

There are a few options you can substitute for the transistors, I would still recommend keeping germanium as that's the real fuzz face tone. You just need to make sure it's a PNP transistor with low leakage and an Hfe value between 40 and 70. I like AC128 as they're a little easier to find, but these are a good option as well.

You're the man!

Hi, welcome!
Here's a discussion about the same thing I had earlier this year:

I would honestly advise against something with finicky transistors as your first build. It may just frustrate you and make you quit haha. By all means order the board but maybe get something at the same time that uses common components like a boost or the Two Sticks of Derm fuzz...it’s way more fun and invigorating to have something work!

I would honestly advise against something with finicky transistors as your first build. It may just frustrate you and make you quit haha. By all means order the board but maybe get something at the same time that uses common components like a boost or the Two Sticks of Derm fuzz...it’s way more fun and invigorating to have something work!
This is generally good advice, but Fuzz Faces aren't really *that* finicky as long as you get low-leakage devices. At least it's not a mark 1 Tone Bender. ?

Russian NOS transistors are cheap and fit the bill nicely. I've had nothing but good luck buying Russian germanium on eBay; there's a large enough supply that it's not subject to the same problems as ICs, JFETs, and the like.

You might be right, but a boost is so boring. I don't mind a challenge and as for components, the fuzz face is very simple. I am try to avoid spending a lot if I can help it. This seemed like the best way to go.

Another thing to consider is BYOC has kits that come with everything and really good step by step instructions. I built 3 of them before I ventured out to buying a separate pcb and sourcing parts

Another thing to consider is BYOC has kits that come with everything and really good step by step instructions. I built 3 of them before I ventured out to buying a separate pcb and sourcing parts
That is a good suggestion. A lot of their stuff has been sold out, but I do browse over there.
My plan right now is to get all the components except for the transistors from tayda. They also sell the enclosures for pedalpcb which is awesome.
All together its cheaper to order the parts then an already assembled kit and with tayda I have to order multiple of a lot of the components, so I will have extras or more that I can use later.

Ohh cool I didn't know about the pre-drilled enclosures. However I don't see one for the Prince Albert based on the drill template.

Ohh cool I didn't know about the pre-drilled enclosures. However I don't see one for the Prince Albert based on the drill template.
Yeah it doesn't look they do. You might be able to get away with the 6-hole version and just put a sticker over the extra hole :)

Another thing I am noticing when I look at the Price Albert pdf.. it doesn't show an LED light in the parts list. I don't think I want to add one with the Sunflower, but if I did.. where/how would I wire it in?

Use a six hole enclosure and a 5mm led with bezel will fill that hole
Yes.
Or, it looks like I could use the 5 knob they do have, and use a step bit to drill the LED hole in the upper row to fit a potentiometer, and use the led with a bezel for the middle hole in the lower row.

Yes.
Or, it looks like I could use the 5 knob they do have, and use a step bit to drill the LED hole in the upper row to fit a potentiometer, and use the led with a bezel for the middle hole in the lower row.
I must be confused, I thought the Prince Albert build had the Led in the lower row

Back