New Pedal Builder Suggestions

hohumbucker

Greetings all!
I am a long time woodwind player who has just started learning how to play electric bass.
I am also a retired mechanical/materials engineer who is just starting to learn circuits and electronics.
I thought I might try and combine those learning efforts and learn how to build some pedals.
I am currently going through Mims "Getting Started in Electronics" and have Anderton "Electronic Projects for Musicians" on order--so very much noob level skills and knowledge at this point (but I tend to learn fast).

I wonder if you experienced builders have recommendations for very first pedal builds that are fairly straight forward to build and fun to play bass with for a builder at my skill level.
I spent a number of hours on PPCB in the last couple days and think that the Distortion 250 and the Ungula might be good places to start. Anyone willing to talk me out of those? Or offer other options?

I have also been playing around with running my saxophone through some of the guitar pedals I currently have, which has been a lot of fun.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. If I have posted this in the wrong spot, let me know and I will try to update that.

First of all, welcome to the hobby!

I can only speak to my own experience but, based on that, I always tend to recommend a kit by AionFX as a first build. Your experience may be different - but when I started, I didn't know the differences between the various components, basics of workflow - and I had only learned how to solder very shortly before that (i.e., I bought a child's LED electronics project just to make sure I had the basics of soldering.) The AionFX kits have some of the best build documentation around - not only going through step by step but also explaining what each part is, tips on proper installation (e.g., i would have never known that you need to be extra careful with germanium transistors). The kits are also very logically thought out to reduce things that might frustrate a first-time builder, such as off board wiring. PedalPCB's (and most others') projects expect the builder to have at least some minimum amount of knowledge and experience prior to approaching the project.

Don't' get me wrong - I love PedalPCB's stuff and PedalPCB projects outnumber the the AionFX projects I have on my board by (at least) a factor of 5. And since I learned so much from my first AionFX kit, every project I have done since has been non-kit - i.e., buy the PCB from the PCB maker and source all my own parts. But the AionFX kits were, at least for me as a complete novice, a crucial first step to getting the lay of the land on how to build.

Mike

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to the hobby!

I can only speak to my own experience but, based on that, I always tend to recommend a kit by AionFX as a first build. Your experience may be different - but when I started, I didn't know the differences between the various components, basics of workflow - and I had only learned how to solder very shortly before that (i.e., I bought a child's LED electronics project just to make sure I had the basics of soldering.) The AionFX kits have some of the best build documentation around - not only going through step by step but also explaining what each part is, tips on proper installation (e.g., i would have never know that you need to be extra careful with germanium transistors). The kits are also very logically thought out to reduce things that might frustrate a first-time builder, such as off board wiring. PedalPCB's (and most others') projects expect the builder to have at least some minimum amount of knowledge and experience prior to approaching the project.

Don't' get me wrong - I love PedalPCB's stuff and PedalPCB projects outnumber the the AionFX projects I have on my board by (at least) a factor of 5. And since I learned so much from my first AionFX kit, every project I have done since has been non-kit - i.e., buy the PCB from the PCB maker and source all my own parts. But the AionFX kits were, at least for me as a complete novice, a crucial first step to getting the lay of the land on how to build.

Mike
Thanks for the reply. I have the Aion Aphelion in one of my browser current tabs as an alternative to the Distortion 250. Their build instructions I can find seem really complete.
I have to admit surprise that the cost of pedal kits is nearly what new pedals cost. But perhaps I should just suck that up as an education cost rather than letting out all the magic smoke while learning at the school of hard knocks.

I have to admit surprise that the cost of pedal kits is nearly what new pedals cost. But perhaps I should just suck that up as an education cost rather than letting out all the magic smoke while learning at the school of hard knocks.

In most cases, it gets markedly less expensive once you start buying PCBs and sourcing your own parts and enclosures. Especially since you'll buy certain parts (e.g., resistors) in some minimum quantity (say, 30 for 60 cents US), you'll eventually find that, for your next build you already have most, if not all, of the needed parts in inventory. So, setting aside the cost for an enclosure (if you don't have an extra one around), future projects will get incrementally less expensive and, assuming there are no weird parts needed for the project, your cost could be $8-$15 for the PCB and then maybe $5-$10 for all needed components and potentiometers (if you don't already have extra in inventory).

Mike

Welcome aboard... it's a great hobby !

I'm afraid I can't make any suggestions on specific pedals for a Bass, however I think you need to consider the complexity of the pedal you are selecting for the first few projects. In essence, the more component there are, the more chance you'll have to make mistakes and then troubleshooting could be a deterrent to build another one.

Component type are also a factor to consider. If you don't go for a full kit and source your parts, some parts are really hard to find. Therefore, making sure you can source all the parts from a legitimate vendor is important. About legitimate vendors, some parts mainly IC and Transistors are sold on ebay but are fake. Nothing more frustrating than building a pedal that doesn't work, spending hours of troubleshooting to discover you got screwed by a vendor of fake parts.

Another thing to consider is if you are going in to taste or full on. If you only want to try and see, a kit as suggested above is the way to go. If you want to go full on, PPCB and sourcing your own parts is the way to go. As for parts, my rule of thumb is if I need one component of a certain value, I buy 20 of them... this way I build a stash of parts that I will have on hand for the next build. IC and transistor are often the most expensive components, so you ratio may be lower on this. But still If I need an IC, I'll buy at least 5 of them, many pedals reuse the same IC, so they are not going to be waisted.

So my advices are:
- pick a project that looks simple.
- Shop your parts before buying the PCB
- Stay away from ebay vendor at the beginning, you'll learn to recognize legit vendors as you build.
- Build your inventory of part as you go
- Make sure it stays fun, if a pedal doesn't work, it's all good. Troubleshooting thread are frequent and most of them see a resolution.

Enjoy !

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have the Aion Aphelion in one of my browser current tabs as an alternative to the Distortion 250. Their build instructions I can find seem really complete.
You don't necessarily need to start with a kit, I didn't and I knew nothing about electronics when I started (and in a way, I still don't).

To paraphrase a friend, PPCBs are soldering by numbers... It's really easy to start straight from a PPCB as long as you're willing to source your parts and build an inventory to build more...

Not sure if Bass players are Rat fans... But the PedalPCB Rat clone was my first build, and I'd recommend it. StompBox Parts has it available as a kit if you want to go that route. You do pay an extra few bucks for the convenience of having all your parts picked and packed for you, but I think it's worth it as a way to get your feet wet and see if it's something you want to get deep into (It was for me). Sourcing all my own parts that pedal would cost me closer to $30, but that doesn't factor in shipping from multiple vendors.

Greetings all!
I am a long time woodwind player who has just started learning how to play electric bass.
I am also a retired mechanical/materials engineer who is just starting to learn circuits and electronics.
I thought I might try and combine those learning efforts and learn how to build some pedals.
I am currently going through Mims "Getting Started in Electronics" and have Anderton "Electronic Projects for Musicians" on order--so very much noob level skills and knowledge at this point (but I tend to learn fast).

I wonder if you experienced builders have recommendations for very first pedal builds that are fairly straight forward to build and fun to play bass with for a builder at my skill level.
I spent a number of hours on PPCB in the last couple days and think that the Distortion 250 and the Ungula might be good places to start. Anyone willing to talk me out of those? Or offer other options?

I have also been playing around with running my saxophone through some of the guitar pedals I currently have, which has been a lot of fun.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. If I have posted this in the wrong spot, let me know and I will try to update that.
PPCB sells a version of Anderton's Super Tone Control (Pro-Filter), which is a very useful tool for bass. I think the original was the second or third build I ever did, back when the first edition of that book came out. You might want to start with something a little simpler though, I reckon. ;)

I'd also look at the Frequency Interchange Filter and the EQ, Anyone? as especially good candidates for bass duty. I've not yet built up any PPCB boards myself but I hope to rectify that in the next month or two. Good luck, and have fun!

Not sure if Bass players are Rat fans... But the PedalPCB Rat clone was my first build, and I'd recommend it. StompBox Parts has it available as a kit if you want to go that route. You do pay an extra few bucks for the convenience of having all your parts picked and packed for you, but I think it's worth it as a way to get your feet wet and see if it's something you want to get deep into (It was for me). Sourcing all my own parts that pedal would cost me closer to $30, but that doesn't factor in shipping from multiple vendors.

Oh that's a good idea.
They also have a fuzz kit.

Component type are also a factor to consider. If you don't go for a full kit and source your parts, some parts are really hard to find. Therefore, making sure you can source all the parts from a legitimate vendor is important. About legitimate vendors, some parts mainly IC and Transistors are sold on ebay but are fake. Nothing more frustrating than building a pedal that doesn't work, spending hours of troubleshooting to discover you got screwed by a vendor of fake parts.
Funny you put this in here. As an undergrad I nearly failed the lab in my EE for non-believers class when I could not get my circuits to work. It was not until nearly the end of the time that we found out I had a batch of bad opamps that did not work, hence why my circuit would not work. I have to admit that experience completely turned me off to trying to learn and understand electronics. Now 35+ years have passed, and perhaps I am adult enough to finally get past that and have some fun with it.

I was not at all trying to build a pedal to save money. I was just more surprised that there was not much 'kit discount' but that is really no matter. I think I will start with one of the kits to get my feet wet. I have been picking up some basic components for good vendors. Yes, when I need 1, I have been buying 5. Stockpiles are not always bad things.

Yes, solder solder solder. I have some perf board and some extra pins that I am working with. Bought a new Weller unit to replace the crappy radio shack pencil that has been banging around in my tool box for decades. And I now have free time to work on those things in retirement.

My new favorite bass player (Alejandra Villarreal of The Warning) has always played a Darkglass B3K. I think eventually I would like to try and build a clone of that, but I will get my feet wet first. I am going to order the Aion Distortion 250 kit this afternoon. I know what all those components are, and it looks pretty straight forward. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the guidance.

All the phasers, and all the delays. The green Russian muff is killer on bass.
Thanks for that input. This small Russian was on my list for sure. Seems like small space to pack all that into.

Thanks for that input. This small Russian was on my list for sure. Seems like small space to pack all that into.
I’d steer clear of wee enclosures for the first few builds.

Kind of what I was thinking too. Any reason I could not do that build, but just put it in a bigger box? Or have I not found a Russian muff kit in a bigger box?
You could build it out in a bigger enclosure, but you’d need to get the bigger enclosure.

Have a look at AionFX if you haven’t already:

https://aionfx.com/project/halo-distortion-sustainer/

His kits are top notch. Although I will say, I far prefer building using @Robert s ppcb boards. But if you want a full kit, Aion is pretty hard to beat.

Take your time and have fun. Reach back out here if you need some troubleshooting help.

Take your time and have fun. Reach back out here if you need some troubleshooting help.
Thanks, I sure will. I have a couple other projects to get off my plate before I tackle this (and I need more solder practice), but will let you know how it goes. I appreciate the help.

Back