Noob question on Sunflower resistors

malsanders

Hey guys, I have just bought a stack of PedalPCB's including the Sunflower.

I have done some research and 'think' I know the answer, but is using 1/4 watt resistors OK in the sunflower?

The original Fuzz Face used 1/2 watt carbon comp (same values as the Sunflower), and the AM Surface uses carbon comp but I'm not sure on the wattage.

I would like to stick to the original if I can and use carbon comp, but will they:

1. Fit in the 8mm spacing (carbon comp's on Mouser are 9.5mm) ?
2: Work in this circuit?

Thanks!

It’s a good question. Yes, 1/4 Watt carbon comp resistors will work fine in this circuit. Do a search of carbon comp resistors on Mouser. Then narrow down your choices by picking 1/4 watt power and 7mm length. Ohmite and other brands will show up. You can ‘fit’ larger resistors by standing them up on the pcb if you want. I just prefer the 7mm resistors. Happy Building.

~Steve

That's great! When using NOS CC resistors, keep in mind the tolerances are probably higher so you may want to test them to find the one closest to the value required. There is little joy in having to disassemble a build because of one resistor. I have a lot of these, but mainly use them to match an uncommon value in a circuit or for biasing transistors.

Looking forward to that build report!

Back