OBNE Signal Blender

Mike52

This may become a perennial request so here's the request for 2022. An OBNE clone of the Parallel Signal Blender utility pedal.
There are signal splitter/blender circuits out there but none really look as useful as this one does. I'm building the ParaMix right now and can tell that aside from really lousy build documentation, and a poorly laid out PCB, it still just an overgrown buff/n/blend pedal.

It would be great to have the ability to mix a modulation effect with a distortion effect all sitting behind a clean guitar signal.

So, please, please, please, consider doing this one.

Upvote 14

ADAOCE

Why not a modular that can be expanded to be as complicated as you want, or something simple and direct?

BTW, do these asks ever turn into actual projects?
Hell yeah dude. He gives the people what they want! The basic relay bypass boards are because of a thread I posted saying I was looking for a lower cost relay bypass board without a microcontroller and viola

finebyfine

Why not a modular that can be expanded to be as complicated as you want, or something simple and direct?

I like this idea a lot, personally for my imagined uses. The OBNE does it really well for an off the shelf pedal though and people might see it as easier to do than something more modular - especially because something like the OBNE blender is theoretically not that complicated for someone doing it from scratch. But as someone who's tried, and has read a lot of posts on people trying to do similar things, it's easier said than done to nail 100% even if it's just a few buffered paths with switched inverting-op amps for phase correction.

finebyfine

Got one incoming.
giphy.gif

Mike52

I like this idea a lot, personally for my imagined uses. The OBNE does it really well for an off the shelf pedal though and people might see it as easier to do than something more modular - especially because something like the OBNE blender is theoretically not that complicated for someone doing it from scratch. But as someone who's tried, and has read a lot of posts on people trying to do similar things, it's easier said than done to nail 100% even if it's just a few buffered paths with switched inverting-op amps for phase correction.
Yeah, seems like if you examine schematics on this type of circuit, you could build each channel in a fairly narrow PCB strip. It's pretty much an amplifier stage, a recovery stage and separate volume pots with some hi and low filtering. It would be pretty slick, and pretty hardware intensive. You'd be limited by the number of input jacks you could squeeze into it.

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
EHX Parallel Mixer is another option. I can’t tell if it’s better/worse than the OBNE one.
I'd say its both better and worse– it's a lot more complicated (input and output level for each loop, phase for each loop, eq for each loop, and more) so it allows you to do quite a bit more stuff, but that also means there are a lot more ways to screw things up. The OBNE one is simpler, so while it may not do as much, it won't take as much work to find a good setting. If you really want to dive deep in the parallel mixing world without shelling out for a Klein Bottle, the EHX is probably the better mixer, but if you want something uncomplicated, where you can get good results without having to worry about option-paralysis, then the OBNE will probably do everything you need it to.

Mike52

This weekend after trying to debug the rats nest POS that is the Paramix, I threw it in the garbage. Even the parts that worked were unimpressive and clunky. Will either patiently wait for you guys to come up with your signal blender or just buy one direct from OBNE. Frustrating for such a simple idea.