Older Octagon Build - "Lucky Smells"

Cybercow

Fell in love with FV-1 builds and got three of the older Arachnid platform PCBs with an Octagon, Module8 and custom prepped EEPROM. Finished the enclosure on one of them for my cousin. I sent him the Module8 version. I really like how the waterslide and enclosure finished up. So I thought I'd share some pics of the finished product. The other two will be near identical but each in a different color and name. The Octagon version is named "Whisper of Echoes" and the custom is being called "Time Chamber".

More build details and gunshots are in a previous post: here.

LuckySmells_Front_Done.jpg

LuckySmells_Front_01.jpg

LuckySmells_Front_02.jpg

Very cool. I'm always jealous of folks who get good results with waterslide decals, as I've never been able to. Ha.

Very cool. I'm always jealous of folks who get good results with waterslide decals, as I've never been able to. Ha.
p_wats - Thanks! I stumbled on this YouTube Waterslide Decal video tutorial a couple years back and have been using this method ever since. I've tied other methods and find this works best for me within my available means & resources. The trick I found is to use a wetting solution for waterslide decals. I discovered and use Micro Set Setting Solution from Amazon. Other important points to note using waterslides is to use WARM (not hot) water with a just a couple drops of liquid dish detergent in the water AND to be sure there are two light, clear coats of glossy on the decal BEFORE soaking it in the water. While the decal soaks for about 30+ seconds in the water, I wet the cleaned surface of the enclosure with few drops of water, then take a small soft pin-point paintbrush and dip it once into the wetting solution and spread it around the slightly wetter enclosure surface. When the decal is sufficiently loose enough to easily slide, push about 1/4" inch towards the top and then align & place it on the enclosure, carefully holding the exposed decal onto the enclosure surface while sliding the decal paper out from underneath the decal. The video (linked above) demonstrates it nicely. Hope that helps, should ever decide to try a waterslide again. It took me a few practice runs to get it right. They come off easily if they don't set or dry right.

I have a shit printer and they can come out much better than this one did with a good printer. Waterslide decals come in clear and white background stock for inkjet or laser printers. There's and important difference between the two. Good luck and thanks again.

I really have to laugh at myself. After going through all the trouble of designing and building the mods for the original Arachnid platform so I could use a SP8T rotary switch instead of the B100K pot, I overlooked the the fact that the rotary switch behaves in reverse of the numbers for which I created the water slide patch indicators. They are actually reversed! LOL! I'm just gonna live with it on this and the other two builds because they're personal. Lesson learned when modding - check, double-check and triple-check every step of the process.

Back