Overdrive Preamp 250 (vero)

SYLV9ST9R

Wanted to do this for the Pedals for Ukraine DOD250 thing first, but stuff got in the way. But I got a reminder on Friday for the silent auction that's being held by the Association of Canadian Archivists to support Ukrainian archival institutions, and well, being a Canadian archivist myself, I thought it was a good fit and I was able to finish it this week-end.

Built from the Guitar FX layout for the "grey box" DOD 250. Decided to build it without mods. I did try different clipping diodes (red & green LEDs, Ge, etc.), but settled on the stock 1N4148 as they were the best sounding to my ears. Classic circuit: was getting great sounds just pushing my little tube amp.
For the faceplate, I went with an Ukrainian spin on the classic DOD design as I found it to look great with the blue/yellow color scheme.
Completed the look with the bypass LED in a clear shaft pot as I had one extra from another build. (I also saw recently that they now have some values of those transparent shaft pots at Tayda now; and just know that the clear shaft pot are a bit taller.).

IMG_0665.jpg IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0667.jpg

Props to great people: first to @fig who provided the metal can LM741 for extra vintage mojo, secondly to @amplifyfun for the great job on the faceplate, and finally to @pcb rookie who let me tag along on his Amplifyfun order to help alleviate shipping costs up North.

Last edited:
That's cool! I have not tried the veroboard builds yet. That's a clean build. The face plate came out great! I'll let you know next time I place an order. You can tag along again if the timing is right for you!

Back