Overdrive

Username123

anyone have any suggestions for a light to medium gain overdrive? I need an overdrive that can get that lovely edge of breakup tone, and a little beyond that. It needs to be able to pull its weight enough, because I am not building an overdrive and then a boost because the overdrive is too mild! It also can't be to aggressive, so one that is not primarily in higher gain territory, because I just built a distortion pedal. It also needs to not be overly complex, but also doesn't need to be dirt simple. Some extra control would be appreciated, but I don't need an Eqd palisades for instance.

I have heard a little about that pedal. What does it sound like?
It's exactly what youre describing. It'd also be handy to know what guitar and amp you play, because ODs vary on EQ profiles, which make a huge difference.
Prince/King of tone would be smoother and just as flexible.
Mojito's breakup sounds a bit raunchier and more amp like.
If you want a Mid-focus push, the Klone is popular for a reason.

I think the Mach 1 may be what you want.

I came to suggest the Mach 1 as well.

Another option is the BluesBreaker. There's also many BB-based derivatives that tweak or improve on that circuit. Pro-10 Blue Channel, Pauper, Glory Hole, or King's Hand, or a few others I'm probably forgetting (a BB is a popular circuit to modify).

It's exactly what youre describing. It'd also be handy to know what guitar and amp you play, because ODs vary on EQ profiles, which make a huge difference.
Prince/King of tone would be smoother and just as flexible.
Mojito's breakup sounds a bit raunchier and more amp like.
If you want a Mid-focus push, the Klone is popular for a reason.
The guitar I play is basically a gretsch duo get with double cutaway. It has blacktop filtertron pickups. I don't use any impressive amps or even good amps. All I have is a roland cube and a peavey tube amp.
Amp like sounds nice. The smoother overdrive also sounds nice!

Last edited:
I think the Mach 1 may be what you want.

I came to suggest the Mach 1 as well.

Another option is the BluesBreaker. There's also many BB-based derivatives that tweak or improve on that circuit. Pro-10 Blue Channel, Pauper, Glory Hole, or King's Hand, or a few others I'm probably forgetting (a BB is a popular circuit to modify).
The mach 1 interests me. Seems like a pretty simple circuit. What does it sound like? Also the bluesbreaker seems to be a pretty great circuit!

Listened to some of the lightspeed demos. Sounds pretty amazing! I will definitely put that on the list!

Also listened to the king of tone demo. Not sure if I'm up for building that one yet though... maybe the prince of tone, or the standard bluesbreaker. The King of tone sounded great though. That lightspeed one sounded pretty amazing. It might be the one.

I have 5 suggestions: the Chauffeur, the Southern Belle, The Phoenix ultra (a three knob zen), the Dude and the madbean Laureate. All top notch low to medium gain overdrives. The Southern Belle and the Phoenix are super easy builds.

Last edited:
Also listened to the king of tone demo. Not sure if I'm up for building that one yet though... maybe the prince of tone, or the standard bluesbreaker. The King of tone sounded great though. That lightspeed one sounded pretty amazing. It might be the one.
Gotta be careful around here when it comes to dirt builds...

why-not-both-por-que-no-los-dos.gif

The Phoenix ultra (a three knob zan)
I don’t think the extra knob complicates stuff too much, and it gives it more versatility. I’d suggest the zen instead.

But wow, I didn’t know about that circuit. That guy is ridiculous.

Edit: if you end up choosing the zen, don’t get terribly hung up on the IC. There are many that’ll work just fine.

Chop Shop.

For me it carves out the perfect balance between edge-of-break-up and not too aggressive, by trimming the Sag and not slashing the gain too much. Might not make the cut depending on how you slice "medium-gain".

Back