Pandora's Box With Bass Contour Mod

Jovi Bon Kenobi

This is an awesome Rat variant! Again, I took the advice of the friendly folks here and built this. So glad I did. It rules! Best. Rat. Ever!
The mod I did is courtesy of Chuck D Bones with help from Hamish. Photos of mod below.
What I had in a baggie labeled "LM308N" was actually UA308HC so I used those. Getting em into the sockets was a bitch. Ha. I also socketed the diodes to eventually play around with variants.
I always have a hard time coming up with label ideas for toggle switches but in this case I did something a little different. I tried coming up with a word that had c, o, d, and e so I could label it vertically and spell out what each of the switching variants do (with arrows to make it easier for me to understand). Hence, CODEX. Knobs from LMS. P-Touch gold on clear labels. Font is called Mekon.

IMG_20201010_182344.jpg
IMG_20201010_145002.jpg

Here's the mod from Chuck D. Bones. I also added a 430nF cap in C13 because Hamish did and I do whatever he does. :)
Expandora bass pot.png

IMG_20201010_115229.jpg

Then I added some heat shrink to protect it from shorting
IMG_20201010_120436.jpg

Last edited:
Bro that's fantastic. I forgot this pedal was available. I'm a big fan of Billy Gibbon's Rhythmeen tone I think he used this during that time.
Thank you. It sounds really great. I'm a big fan of hard clipping distortion. This can sound like a Rat then go 10 times further. All the while sounding loose and nasty like a good Rat. Both switches down (Expand) is probably not for everyone. I love how it sounds like it can't take it anymore and is going to explode. Very psych/garage/lo-fi. Crunch, OD, and Distortion all sound like they should and just really useable. I built the Informant here and didn't care for it as it sounded nothing like a Rat even though is was supposed to be based off of one. The clipping was way too smooth, like freshly steamed dense cappuccino foam...versus the bubbles from sticking a straw down into a strawberry nesquick and blowing. :D

"I also added a 430nF cap in C13 because Hamish did and I do whatever he does. :)" Haha! Oh god the pressure now! I'd recommend following what Chuck does more! I love modifying stuff to get the sounds I like but usually have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I am absolutely delighted that you like the new pedal. If anything I suggest works it's because Chuck told me how to do it. And the Expandora with Chuck's bass pot mod is just awesome. Like you I love the "forbidden" setting - it's one of the most usable gated dirt sounds I have tried. I can use it with my ES-225 which is a fully hollow body guitar. The gating helps it avoid howling with feedback.

If you like hard clipping you'll probably like the Angry Charles.

This is a great forum.

That just looks fantastic all round

I love those old tin can ICs I AB'd some 741s with their plastic brothers in a coupla script phase 90s I built and I swear they sounded better.....mind you it might have been the stuff I was smoking at the time everything sounded better even my ex wife!

Thanks, everyone!

"I also added a 430nF cap in C13 because Hamish did and I do whatever he does. :)" Haha! Oh god the pressure now! I'd recommend following what Chuck does more! I love modifying stuff to get the sounds I like but usually have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing.
Well considering I know next to nothing about circuits nor how to read a schematic I'll read pretty much anything as it were gospel if one sounds clever enough. :sneaky:

"Would that make it more like a Quokka, Bigger & Fatter:"

Funny you should say that because that it exactly what I did call my version of the Rat! Quokka is a great word and even greater animal. Hilarious when photographed close up.

He's not the only one! Next build is a tagboard, probably that .45 Caliber per your recommendation that I came across, so I hope it's good hahaha. ?

Back