SOLVED Paradise Overdrive (Gain Pot Motorboating)

FuzzyChicken

Hi first time on the forums, how ya'll doin?
I've tried to solve this problem quite a few times already but to no avail, so now I'm here hoping that one of the wiz's can help me out.

So as the title suggests I have a problem with the Paradise Overdrive, mainly the gain control. At all the knobs in the 12 o'clock position everything seems fine. I can even push the volume and it seems to be okay. The gain however in the last 1/10 of a turn starts motorboating quite a bit. If i back off the gain knob a bit the motor boating goes away but seems to have a faint noise (which is what I'd expect out of a gain knob semi-cranked). The knob also seems to make a lot of noise when I touch the shaft to turn it (the same sound happens when touching the input jack terminals). I can't seem to fix the problem at all and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here. On an added note I replaced C2 for a 4n7 cap, sound waaaaay less muddy!
So far I've tried:
  • Replacing the gain pot for a new one.(A250)
  • Replacing the IC(JRC386D)
  • Cleaned most of the flux-gunk. I rewired the pots but didn't clean them yet.
  • Rewired the pots.
IC measurements:
1: 1.3
2: 0
3: 0
4: 0
5: 3.94
6: 8.78
7: 4.295
8: 1.298
IMG_1914-min.JPG IMG_1916-min.JPG IMG_1915-min-min.JPG
Thanks in advance folks!

Hi first time on the forums, how ya'll doin?
I've tried to solve this problem quite a few times already but to no avail, so now I'm here hoping that one of the wiz's can help me out.

So as the title suggests I have a problem with the Paradise Overdrive, mainly the gain control. At all the knobs in the 12 o'clock position everything seems fine. I can even push the volume and it seems to be okay. The gain however in the last 1/10 of a turn starts motorboating quite a bit. If i back off the gain knob a bit the motor boating goes away but seems to have a faint noise (which is what I'd expect out of a gain knob semi-cranked). The knob also seems to make a lot of noise when I touch the shaft to turn it (the same sound happens when touching the input jack terminals). I can't seem to fix the problem at all and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here. On an added note I replaced C2 for a 4n7 cap, sound waaaaay less muddy!
So far I've tried:
  • Replacing the gain pot for a new one.(A250)
  • Replacing the IC(JRC386D)
  • Cleaned most of the flux-gunk. I rewired the pots but didn't clean them yet.
  • Rewired the pots.
IC measurements:
1: 1.3
2: 0
3: 0
4: 0
5: 3.94
6: 8.78
7: 4.295
8: 1.298
View attachment 3444View attachment 3443View attachment 3445
Thanks in advance folks!
I built this on my Eyelet Board around 2 years ago from Tagboard Effects Layout, where it was updated from my findings to a 4n7 Cap.
I just measured mine & there could be slight difference as I only use National Semi LM386N-3 in these type pedals.
The Battery measured 9.47v
1 : 1.347v & 8: should be exactly the same, they are Linked.
2: 0v
3: 8.8mw
4: 0v
5: 5.98v Yours seems low here!
6: 9.22v
7: 4.66v
8: 1.347v

Last edited:
I built this on my Eyelet Board around 2 years ago from Tagboard Effects Layout, where it was updated from my findings to a 4n7 Cap.
I just measured mine & there could be slight difference as I only use National Semi LM386N-3 in these type pedals.
The Battery measured 9.47v
1 : 1.347v & 8: should be exactly the same, they are Linked.
2: 0v
3: 8.8mw
4: 0v
5: 5.98v Yours seems low here!
6: 9.22v
7: 4.66v
8: 1.347v
Huh maybe I just got a bad batch of those chips. I’ll try out the lm386n-3 like you suggested, I think saw it on mouser before. Thanks for the input! While I’m ordering the ICs i’ll Try looking around pin5 and see if any joints are cold.

Ps: Your build looks awesome! Never seen anyone using eyelets for pedals before.

Someone had a similar issue a while back (before the forum existed).

If I recall, the problem was corrected by using a different version of the LM386, quite possibly the LM386N-3.

Huh maybe I just got a bad batch of those chips. I’ll try out the lm386n-3 like you suggested, I think saw it on mouser before. Thanks for the input! While I’m ordering the ICs i’ll Try looking around pin5 and see if any joints are cold.

Ps: Your build looks awesome! Never seen anyone using eyelets for pedals before.
Here is how the Op Amp Socket is fixed from the Back in my Eyelet Board designs:
I made a Drilling Tempate out of 2mm Aluminium with 14 pins so I can use it for multiple sockets!

I twist the wire tightly & wind it around & down a Safety Pin & slide it on the Socket pin & Solder,
With 2 wires going to the same Socket pin, I part the insulation in the middle so there is around 6mm gap.
Twist wire & wrap around & down a Safety Pin & slide onto Socket pin.

Custom Eyelet Board. Back with Soldered Leads.jpg

I've taken the board out of the box once to apply all those fixes I tried already (pot swapping, rewiring, etc...). The recent tests were done through a breadboard set up, guess there wouldn't be much of a ground with that method. I'll try boxing it when I get the chance, should be able to do so in the next couple o' days. I appreciate everyone's input, I feel like I'm making progress now!

Back