Paragon Mini

Route14

This is the third Paragon Mini I've built and like the other two this one is going to a friend. One of these days I'll build one for myself. I think I like this better than the regular Paragon. Eventually I'll build the regular Paragon with the mods going around so I can compare. Of the three I've built I like this one best. The first one I built I used 100k for R3 (High Gain), 1k for R20 and 1N914 diodes. The second one I used 10k for R3 and R20 (values printed on the board and supposedly the original KoT values) and BAS33 diodes. On this one I used 100k for R3 (High Gain), 1k for R20 and BAS33 diodes.

On the KoT I use each side like Analogman sets up the pedals by default. OD on the right side and Boost on the left. With that configuration I like the high gain option on the right using the 100k mod. The pedal sounds decent with 1N914s but for me it misses that little something that you might not notice if you haven't played one with the MA856s. I really like the BAS33s to get that little extra KoT vibe. It's a really minor difference but for my tastes that's my preference. BA282s were good to but the BAS33s are easier to source and feel good to my ears. Even with 1N914 diodes this is a great build if you like the bluesbreaker circuit.

I don't really use the hard clipping option but for the first build I used 1N4001 diodes and for the other two I used 1N914. I believe you want to aim for something with a lower forward voltage in these spots.

IMG_1283.jpg IMG_1285.jpg

On your next Paragon build, instead of 100k for R3, you could try the stock 10k value but swap the B100k gain pot for a B250k.
This gives you the high gain option by simply cranking up the gain but still also gives you the low gain options when you turn it down.

I've used this mod on all my Paragons and it's a great tip from @Chuck D. Bones. I like the way my Mini sounds better than the full size too (sometimes....depends on the phase of the mood, the tide, the way the wind is blowing, etc....hahaha)

On your next Paragon build, instead of 100k for R3, you could try the stock 10k value but swap the B100k gain pot for a B250k.
This gives you the high gain option by simply cranking up the gain but still also gives you the low gain options when you turn it down.

I've used this mod on all my Paragons and it's a great tip from @Chuck D. Bones. I like the way my Mini sounds better than the full size too (sometimes....depends on the phase of the mood, the tide, the way the wind is blowing, etc....hahaha)
Yeah I want to try that. I almost did the 250K pots on this one but I only had 2 on hand and was saving them for another builds. I hadn't thought about going 10K with the 250K pot. That could be cool to try.

I built about 15-20 pedals back in 2005 and then put the soldering iron away. I got back into a little over 2 years ago because you know... the pandemic, but also because I've been on the KoT wait list for 4 years this month!!! I wanted to build a KoT. In my first build I got duped by Pedal Hacker on some over priced MA856s which turned out to be 1SS133s. They sound identical to 1N914s so not bad but not the same as the KoTs I've played in the past. I didn't realize they were fake until I read an informative post on Reddit about them. That made me feel better because I was a little bit underwhelmed by my clone.

I like the Paragon Mini because I don't need the extra parts for the charge pump and it might all be in my head but I think it sounds a tad better than the Paragon. I also built PCB Guitar Mania's SMD version with the BAS33s and surprisingly I actually like it a lot. (PCBGM builds sometimes require a little more patience if you know what I mean.) I have the Aion FX build half done but just need to get motivated to get it done. Kevin's build docs is where I heard about the BAS33s.

Yeah I want to try that. I almost did the 250K pots on this one but I only had 2 on hand and was saving them for another builds. I hadn't thought about going 10K with the 250K pot. That could be cool to try.

I built about 15-20 pedals back in 2005 and then put the soldering iron away. I got back into a little over 2 years ago because you know... the pandemic, but also because I've been on the KoT wait list for 4 years this month!!! I wanted to build a KoT. In my first build I got duped by Pedal Hacker on some over priced MA856s which turned out to be 1SS133s. They sound identical to 1N914s so not bad but not the same as the KoTs I've played in the past. I didn't realize they were fake until I read an informative post on Reddit about them. That made me feel better because I was a little bit underwhelmed by my clone.

I like the Paragon Mini because I don't need the extra parts for the charge pump and it might all be in my head but I think it sounds a tad better than the Paragon. I also built PCB Guitar Mania's SMD version with the BAS33s and surprisingly I actually like it a lot. (PCBGM builds sometimes require a little more patience if you know what I mean.) I have the Aion FX build half done but just need to get motivated to get it done. Kevin's build docs is where I heard about the BAS33s.
Haha, I've built all of them, the Paragon (multiple), the Aion Theseus, the Paragon Mini, and the PCB Guitar Mania version. Check our @ckaudioeffects's mods for the full size Paragon. It helps a lot for some reason. And for some unknown reason the Mini doesn't need the mods to sound the same. Not exactly sure why. I left out the charge pump on my full size builds.

Haha, I've built all of them, the Paragon (multiple), the Aion Theseus, the Paragon Mini, and the PCB Guitar Mania version. Check our @ckaudioeffects's mods for the full size Paragon. It helps a lot for some reason. And for some unknown reason the Mini doesn't need the mods to sound the same. Not exactly sure why. I left out the charge pump on my full size builds.
I did see your KoT post. It was inspirational!! Is there any documentation or posts on how to leave out the charge pump on the full size?

I'm wondering if the 10k with 250k pot makes for a touchy adjustment; when you cram extra amounts of gain into the same amount of rotation, I imagine it could get touchy trying to dial in the sweet spot. I haven't tried it, so I'm hoping those that have will weigh in... @MichaelW, @Chuck D. Bones?

I know I should just breadboard it and see for myself, just got too much on the go right now and not enough space for extra breadboards let alone the breadboards themselves.

Back