Paragon - Modification questions

uranium_jones

Hi all, I'm building a Paragon, and I have to choose between High-gain and Low-gain resistors. Apparently the "red" side of a King of Tone usually gets a high-gain version, and based on the mirroring effect when looking at PCBs, I think that means Channel 1 (i.e. the left side) of the Paragon board. Has anyone tried implementing DPDT toggle switches to switch between low gain and high gain resistors? Is it worth it? I am hesitant simply because I don't know how well a switch would fit in with the rest of the enclosure. The only extra space I know of is in the battery holder area. But I don't know how I feel about toggle switches being near footswitches.

Speaking of voltage, I also see there has been some talk of switching between 9V and 18V, or simply choosing to run at 9V instead of 18V at the time of assembly. I haven't heard anything to suggest what options are better here. Maybe I give up on the switchable resistor idea and try a 9/18V switch. But again, there's the question of usable real estate. Are there any good places to put extra switches in here? Side note: this will be my first 1590BB pedal.

I honestly didn't noticed much of a difference between the high and low gain resistors. Theres a slight difference though. But nothing drastic. Just socket it and test which one you like better. No need for an external switch. As for 9/18v you’d have to remove the charge pump section. Aguy posted on here recently so you could check his build out(actually check it out anyway, was a super clean build!). But again I wouldn’t worry about making this switchable, just run it at both voltages(after omitting charge pump!) and see what ya like better.

There is quite a bit of difference in headroom between 9 & 18 volts in this build. They both have their advantages. If you can, make it so you can have the option of both voltages... On most pedals, I never see much difference between the two voltages but on KOT and clones there is a very noticable difference between the two.
As for toggle switches, they make a "submini" type toggle that will fit under the board and in between the potentiometers. Si basically, all you need to do is figure out where you want the toggle to go and drill a hole.

I honestly didn't noticed much of a difference between the high and low gain resistors. Theres a slight difference though. But nothing drastic. Just socket it and test which one you like better. No need for an external switch. As for 9/18v you’d have to remove the charge pump section. Aguy posted on here recently so you could check his build out(actually check it out anyway, was a super clean build!). But again I wouldn’t worry about making this switchable, just run it at both voltages(after omitting charge pump!) and see what ya like better.
Quick question. With the high gain resistor does the gain control still get a full low to high gain range? Looking at the schematic it looks like the gains starts as if the gain was maxed then goes higher from there. Thanks.

Quick question. With the high gain resistor does the gain control still get a full low to high gain range? Looking at the schematic it looks like the gains starts as if the gain was maxed then goes higher from there. Thanks.
Instead of using the "high gain" resistor, you can use the stock 10k and change the gain pot to a B250k. This gives you more gain but it's spread over the range of the pot instead of a fixed resistor.

Back