Parentheses Fuzz - GE diode

Diatrive

Hell all,

Looking to build one of these and 2 of the diodes are listed as just "GE".
I know that is Germanium but is there no need for a number?
If there isn't can someone link me where to buy GE diodes?

Thanks!

As long as you install them both the same way, it'll be fine. They were installed backwards in the original! :ROFLMAO:

Maybe it was intentional? People were posting higher quality clips and I could not hear an octave of any sort in the audio even with it cranked it just sounded like more fuzz.

if the diodes are swapped it's no going to make a difference (as long as they're anti-parallel they do the same thing.

eh, apparently the octave isn't super noticeable, but I bet youtube's compression isn't helping

With the footswitchable octave you can definitely tell the difference.

It's not a nice pure and clean octave up, it's that injured cat, scrambled Fender Blender / Superfuzz sort of thing.

It's more like it takes it from "Distortion" to "Fuzz" ...

I still don't get it, why a "SUNN O)))" pedal of all things would need an octave up. It should be an octave down for me.

I thought the same thing, and I really know nothing about them.

In this case the octave has more of a tonal effect than a pitch shift.

Oh, it's likely not a traditional octave effect. It's probably yeah, a tonal thing: Sunn 0))) usually downtune and play on the open-4th frets of the lowest strings. An octave doubles this frequency and likely adds some body content to the signal (instead of alllllllll super low end). The fact that it doesn't really after the 12th fret is probably a bug-turned-feature: It may naturally crap out there, but you probably wouldn't want much higher content added in when you're already that high.

I’ll just have to make a demo with my guitar tuned to F# when I build it. :D

Fingers crossed it’s in the mail box today!

If it is indeed the circuit from the EQD Tentacle, it probably does not add much that useful to the overall tone.

I built a clone of it and tried to integrate it into my board about a year ago. I am tuned to C-Standard and play with a decent amount of fuzz and overdrive. On the lower frets it sounded like a tad more distortion had been added, on the higher ones it did an ok kind of octave.

Tried a couple of positions in the chain but finally took if off the board again.

Again, in context to Sunn O)))s tone I do not see that much use of it either. Harmonic distortion and overtones are the thing I expect from them, besides the sheer volume and low end rumble.

Hi there! Looking forward to building this one and was happy somebody else asked the Ge questions already. Follow-up: Can you use a BAT46 instead of the 1N34 or any other Germanium diode? Thanks!

As PedalPCB mentioned near the top of this topic, the Ge diodes are installed "backwards" in the EQD pedal. This only works because Ge diodes are leaky. If you use Si or Schottky, you should install the diodes in the forward direction, reversed from the silkscreen. If you socket the diodes, you can try it both ways and see which works and which doesn't. Some Schottky's are leaky enough to work if they are installed "backwards."

Back