Parentheses Fuzz (in progress)

Nostradoomus

So it’s not boxed yet and I’m waiting for the right DPDT switch (I jumpered it to standard diode config for now) but my god does this thing deliver some fuzzy goodness.

The octave section still needs some tweaks, the last 5% of the pot is giving me some funky PLL glitch...not the worst thing haha.

Here’s a clip I just made. Clean first, clean with delay, clean with delay and octave and a bit of gain. Then a wall of fuzz. I use a custom Monson guitar tuned to low Open G with BKP warpigs, into a peavey musician head and an Old Crowe 2x15. Not for the faint of heart :geek:

Oh yeah the delay is an old MXR, I love that thing. The fuzz sounds funny at first til I turn the octave off, derp!

That sounds crazy. :D

Did matching the diodes clear up the "PLL" sound?

Did you use LM308? When I built the first prototype I didn't have one, so I used NE5534 instead.... Could not make it stop oscillating without tacking caps all over the place. Then I tried LM741 (and finally my LM308 arrived) and it calmed right down, no modifications needed.

No the glitch is still there. I’ve heard you need to match most of the components surrounding the diode pair in a green ringer, the 100n caps 47k, 100k resistors etc but that makes me tired just thinking about it haha. I may just dial back the pot, measure the resistance and put a resistor in there as I don’t see myself dialing it back once it’s set. Maybe I need a cap somewhere too haha

Luckily I have a few LM308s kicking around so that’s what I used. I got a metal can ua308 on the way for mojo :D

Next paycheck ... great demo though. Would love a Monson guitar but I only buy shit gear. Weird about the Green Ringer I haven't had that issue with my builds.

I am going to leave this right here...
1564372781974.png

They asked their producer do we have that wall of sound yet? He replied, no, just a wall of voodoo. :)

Last edited:
Next paycheck ... great demo though. Would love a Monson guitar but I only buy shit gear. Weird about the Green Ringer I haven't had that issue with my builds.

Yeah it’s a head scratcher for sure but not really bad enough to warrant another couple hours of debugging. Once the switch and mojo stuff show up it’s going in a box regardless.

And re: Monson...he takes payments haha. Couldn’t have bought it without that option!

Also if anyone, like me, is having trouble getting the octave to appear...match your diodes. I ended up using a pair of 1n5817s (til my GEs show up) matched to 235mv and it came to life.
If you want to try the D9K’s that the original uses send me a message and I’ll ship you some...

Mine are on the way from smallbear. I don’t see there being a huge difference between the GE and the 5817s I have in there now but your mileage may vary!

My next hurdle is etching a box badass enough to put this beast in.

Back