Parentheses Mini - clipping switch issue?

megabelkins5000

Hi all, I've built my first Parentheses Mini and everything works great, except for 1 clipping option -- when I flip the selector switch to the down position, the signal drops to nearly inaudible. (If I turn Amplitude up to max, I can hear it and it sounds Life-like, but it's still quieter than clean.) I am not sure which clipping option this position connects to, I haven't built in clipping options to a circuit before. I've now reflowed the connections to all of the clipping diodes and they look good to me, but no change, so I'm thinking maybe this switch position is the diode lift? But then if that's the case I can't figure why it would be so quiet when everything else is clearly working right. Maybe an issue with the switch itself? Any input will be appreciated.

Pic is from before wiring, so pre-reflows and cleanup. (The wiring is a bit ridiculous because it's in parallel / blending with another circuit, hard to get a good photo now.) I also cleaned up the switch's center lug.
IMG_9676.jpg

Switch Down is Asymmetrical diode clipping. (the two diodes and LED to the right of the switch).

Assuming the diodes aren't shorted the problem would most likely either be a solder splash / short or a defective switch.

There's an awful lot of solder on the lugs of the switch, it's possible one of the lugs was overheated or there might be a puddle of solder under the switch.

Do you have a DMM with continuity test?

If your DM doesn't have a continuity test you can do the same thing with a low ohms range. somewhere between 0 and a few ohms reading would indicate continuity. I would definitely test the switch before trying to remove it. Test that the lugs that are supposed to connect in each position do actually connect, but also check that the ones that are not supposed to connect in fact do not.

Back