Parentheses V1 Fuzz, choked notes... Normal or not?

Abyssmal

Hello i had time to test it again today and make a quick video because i would like to know if it is normal or not.
Video is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i65efo7i801gjb9/parenthesesFuzz-ChokedNotes.mp4

I know this is a thread about the same issue i had a couple months back but if i just reply to my old thread no one will reply.
In this video at first i was playing with gain and octave at noon and then i increased both until i reach the max at the end of the video.
You can hear each note choking at the start of each one being picked, i'm not doing this on the guitar, the pedal does.
Again, this is my first octave pedal effect, just want to know if it's normal or not.
On the attached picture you can see the 2 GE diodes are following the silkscreen orientation but i reversed them in my unit after taking this picture like someone told me to here in this forum.

Maybe it's my LM308... one is from ebay and 2 different ones i got from banzai, i'm not sure if this store is legit for IC's... but the ebay one makes no changes when i swap them. Where would i find one that is legit?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
That sounds like the fuzz is gating a lot. That could be a problem with the biasing. I’m not familiar with the circuit but that’s the first thing I’d check.

Reactions: fig
I had a similar problem, replaced the LM308 with OP07 and it's working perfectly.

Honestly, the LM308 is overpriced, overhyped and high chance it'll be a dud. The differences between it and the OP07 are almost inaudible and nobody will be able to pick them out in a mix.

It may not be TRVE CVLT to use an alternative, but if it actually works and is 1/20th the price I know which I'm picking.

I wouldn't trust ebay for an LM308, and I believe that banzai has had some bad IC's and Q's of late so just be cautious. Best to stick with reputable stores you know will have the goods - tayda, smallbear, mouser, digikey to name a few.

I had a similar problem, replaced the LM308 with OP07 and it's working perfectly.

Honestly, the LM308 is overpriced, overhyped and high chance it'll be a dud. The differences between it and the OP07 are almost inaudible and nobody will be able to pick them out in a mix.

It may not be TRVE CVLT to use an alternative, but if it actually works and is 1/20th the price I know which I'm picking.
Thanks, i will receive OP07 tomorow :)

At the very least you'll (inexpensively) know if it is the chip or not. Great advice @twebb6778
All good! Hopefully you get that pedal DOOMING!
That sounds like the fuzz is gating a lot. That could be a problem with the biasing. I’m not familiar with the circuit but that’s the first thing I’d check.

Ok guys, thanks for the help, today i received a couple of LM741CNNS/NOPB-ND and OP07CP
Both from digikey.
LM741CN works fine apparently the choked sound is not there anymore but the OP07 still make the same issue.
How is that possible??

Damn, that sucks!

I've never ordered from Banzai myself, but have heard of other are having bad experiences so probably best to steer clear for now.

As far as PF5102, these are only used for the input/output buffer so basically any JFET will work. I used J201's that I soldered on to an adapter board and no issues at all.

That said, if LM741 is working for you it might be worth just leaving it in there.

Back