• International Mail Service Disruptions
    A large number of international shipments have been disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. International shipments may experience longer than normal delivery times.
    Read more…

pauper clipping mod

phi1

If you study the schematic, the 4 diodes (2 each direction) get switched from soft clipping to hard clipping mode. The KoT (paragon) board has 4 in the soft clipping, and 2 in the hard clipping mode. So for the pauper in hard clipping mode it’ll be less aggressive with 4 diodes (2 each way, so higher clipping threshold).

Not sure why PedalPCB wired it up like this, if that’s how the actual prince of tone is or if he was just cutting down on components.

If you really want 2 diodes in the hard clipping mode, you’d probably have to wire the switch off board.

thewintersoldier

If you study the schematic, the 4 diodes (2 each direction) get switched from soft clipping to hard clipping mode. The KoT (paragon) board has 4 in the soft clipping, and 2 in the hard clipping mode. So for the pauper in hard clipping mode it’ll be less aggressive with 4 diodes (2 each way, so higher clipping threshold).

Not sure why PedalPCB wired it up like this, if that’s how the actual prince of tone is or if he was just cutting down on components.

If you really want 2 diodes in the hard clipping mode, you’d probably have to wire the switch off board.
My question is how many diodes are in each mode? Is it 2 OD mode and 4 in Dist mode? If thats the case couldn't I run 2 diodes in series for the OD diodes and then use the hard clipping diodes in the remaining Dist mode? Doesn't the KOT use all six when both dip switches are on? I believe what I proposed above would achieve that. Maybe Chuck could help me figure this out.

phi1

Paragon (KoT) : OD=4 diodes, DIST=2 diodes - both can be on at the same time
Pauper (PoT) : OD=4 diodes, DIST=4 diodes - both cannot be on at the same time. It uses the same 4 diodes for both modes and the switch just changes their position.

I haven't built this, but I would guess that in hard clipping mode, it wouldn't make much difference if the soft clipping diodes are in the circuit or not. (I could be wrong, if the op amp chip is clipping when the soft diodes are removed, then it could make an audible difference).

If I'm understanding what you're saying, it'd be:
OD mode - 2 diodes in soft clipping (hard wired using switch lugs so they're always in the circuit in soft clipping configuration)
DIST mode - 2 diodes in soft clipping, and 4 diodes (on the pcb) in hard clipping

In that case what you're saying would probably work, but the configuration would be different from the KoT circuit (4 in soft, 2 in hard). I think you could achieve the 4/soft, 2/hard configuration using a similar method: where the 4 diodes on the pcb go, only use 2 (strategically placed), then carefully wire up 4 diodes (2 each direction) on the switch lugs.

thewintersoldier

Paragon (KoT) : OD=4 diodes, DIST=2 diodes - both can be on at the same time
Pauper (PoT) : OD=4 diodes, DIST=4 diodes - both cannot be on at the same time. It uses the same 4 diodes for both modes and the switch just changes their position.

I haven't built this, but I would guess that in hard clipping mode, it wouldn't make much difference if the soft clipping diodes are in the circuit or not. (I could be wrong, if the op amp chip is clipping when the soft diodes are removed, then it could make an audible difference).

If I'm understanding what you're saying, it'd be:
OD mode - 2 diodes in soft clipping (hard wired using switch lugs so they're always in the circuit in soft clipping configuration)
DIST mode - 2 diodes in soft clipping, and 4 diodes (on the pcb) in hard clipping

In that case what you're saying would probably work, but the configuration would be different from the KoT circuit (4 in soft, 2 in hard). I think you could achieve the 4/soft, 2/hard configuration using a similar method: where the 4 diodes on the pcb go, only use 2 (strategically placed), then carefully wire up 4 diodes (2 each direction) on the switch lugs.
What if I wired all of the diodes to the switch and left all 4 spots on the pcb empty. So on the OD side of the switch wire the 4 diodes to the outer lugs and on the Dist side of the switch wire the two diodes to the other outer lugs? Center position is off so boost mode still

phi1

Unfortunately, no. If you did that, the soft clipping diodes would be always in the circuit.

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at boards from 2012 online, I see more diodes, is it possible it changed on newer versions?
It's been a little while since I had an original but if I recall correctly the other two diodes that you see in that pic were part of the LED switching circuit.

The pair at the top were polarity protection.