PCB layout software?

mdc

Hi folks,

Just curious if anyone happens to have a recommendation for PCB layout software. I've been using circuit-diagram.org to draw schematics and have a thing I'd like to move onto PCB. It looks like there are a few sites that will go from schematic to PCB layout, but I'm at a loss for how to decide which one is better than another.

What are all yalls using? I don't generally have much use for fully featured/licensed CAD software these days so free options are preferred.

I tried out a lot of the free versions of different ones (kicad, eagle, diptrace) and found diptrace's learning curve to be pretty manageable for someone with no experience. EasyEDA is also pretty easy to use but the library integration sucks compared to diptrace. EasyEDA is still what I usually use for doing a quick breakout board although I'm trying to move to only using diptrace

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt...

There are a lot more resources available for learning to use Eagle.... which is great because the software can be a bit confusing at times. I've tried to familiarize myself with Eagle several times and I always end up walking away wanting to smash my keyboard. :ROFLMAO:

The hotkeys don't make sense, the tools are clunky, and the names of some of the functions just baffle me. I think AutoDesk has worked to alleviate some of the weirdness since taking over, but why in the heck was the function to move text ever called "Smash Up"?

With DipTrace I've never really felt like I needed a tutorial, it's fairly easy to figure out and most of the functionality works like you would expect it to.

There are a lot more resources available for learning to use Eagle.... which is great because the software can be a bit confusing at times. I've tried to familiarize myself with Eagle several times and I always end up walking away wanting to smash my keyboard. :ROFLMAO:

This was exactly my reaction to Eagle lol

Awesome, thanks - are you folks using diptrace on Mac or pc?

PC here as well. I imagine the Mac and Linux versions are similar given its written in Delphi.

With EasyEDA and Diptrace, I've also found GerberTools to be a useful thing to have on deck for panelizing.

I use DipTrace lite which I got free through my university (previously I was using the regular free version, but at one point I needed more components than the free one allowed). I honestly still don’t know exactly what I’m doing in it—I still have no idea how to create custom component footprints or anything like that. It’s definitely the most user friendly one I’ve used though

I had a go at using eagle today without looking at a tutorial - it’s odd and not a user friendly system at all. I will try DipTrace - thanks!

I've had Eagle for a while, but (though not for PCB-layout) continue to use DIYLC.

Based on what I've read here, I'll have a butcher's at Diptrace.

I've done a couple of layouts on DipTrace now and the whole process makes sense. The Madbean library is necessary, do a google search for that. While I still suck at layout and routing (seriously @PedalPCB you are a genius at it) I have managed to get one board sent off to OSH Park to be manufactured. Just waiting on a parts delivery to confirm my Em-Drive clone works then I'll get my other boards manufactured. I'm working on a Nobel's ODR-S layout atm which is a significant step up in terms of parts and complexity.

Back