PCB Tube Socket Footprints in Diptrace?

I've seen some dead links to those, but gave up after 4-5. If I may, are you designing a pedal or amp board?

I've seen some dead links to those, but gave up after 4-5. If I may, are you designing a pedal or amp board?

Amp board. I have a few ideas and it just seems more fun and ultimately economical to design and have them fabricated.

Reactions: fig
I can think of at least a half-dozen members who might have those. I look forward to seeing your ideas.

His life now complete, Mr. Monk turns his attention inward, delving deep into the inner most recesses of his mind. Follow him on this most fascinating journey.

If by Journey you mean stream of consciousness rambling about stuff no one cares about, i.e. using the forum as my personal build journal, you got it!

If by Journey you mean stream of consciousness rambling about stuff no one cares about, i.e. using the forum as my personal build journal, you got it!
Well not exactly....I enjoy your projects. They are unique to my own in that they have both a start AND end to them.

Here's what I am working on:

Plexi SE.PNG

It's a variation of Mark Huss' version of a Single Ended Plexi with a few tweaks. I'm using the Valve Junior power supply and power amp stage (EL84), a 3PDT to switch between Bright/Normal voicing, a Drive control on the input of the EL84 and variable NFB.

His version is particularly cool because of the Faux PI stage where he injects the NFB and has a Presence control.

Going to be designing a board for this.

Here's what I am working on:

View attachment 23457

It's a variation of Mark Huss' version of a Single Ended Plexi with a few tweaks. I'm using the Valve Junior power supply and power amp stage (EL84), a 3PDT to switch between Bright/Normal voicing, a Drive control on the input of the EL84 and variable NFB.

His version is particularly cool because of the Faux PI stage where he injects the NFB and has a Presence control.

Going to be designing a board for this.
  1. I think you swapped your Drive and Volume pot labels
  2. What's the reasoning behind your master volume setup? Lug 1 floating, 470R resistor pulling to ground before a series 10k?
Other than that I dig it.

1. I think you swapped your Drive and Volume pot labels
  2. What's the reasoning behind your master volume setup? Lug 1 floating, 470R resistor pulling to ground before a series 10k?
Other than that I dig it.

1.) No, that’s correct. Volume is a traditional volume, Drive is a form of gain control.

2.) It’s not a master. That 470 ohm is an error. It’s supposed to be 220k. I mislabeled it. The Drive control forms a voltage divider with the grid leak 220k and cleans up the gain going into the the EL84. The 10k is a holdover from my current amp. It may not need to be that high here.

The Drive control forms a voltage divider with the grid leak 220k
So you made a master volume control with a fixed maximum level. It's not affecting the gain of any of your preamp stages, it just controls the possibility of power stage clipping by choking the level of your preamp output.

So you made a master volume control with a fixed maximum level. It's not affecting the gain of any of your preamp stages, it just controls the possibility of power stage clipping by choking the level of your preamp output.

Pretty much. It never cuts to zero but slams the power tube less which is very useful, especially with EL84s.

Those suckers sound great when tuned right but get ugly with too much signal slamming them.

I often refer to it as “Drive” or a faux Drive control.

Back