Pcbguitarmania vu-tron

Solution
Some update:

I tried new 5089 from digikey. Same issue. No effect. So I ordered a new pcb from pcbguitarmania, since I was building this for a good friend’s bassist and my enclosure labels matched it.

Pcbguitarmania takes forever to fulfill orders - either he is shipping 1k units a day or … anyways, the new one isn’t shipped yet so I had time to debug. Decided to perform a full connectivity check.

Found a clear missing link from R12 to the Range pot. Never ever have I found this on ppcb or other sites. Not sure if missing connects are normal. I hope not.. coz they’re painful to find.

Shorted that link and it works! 5088 works as well. The NTE equivalent transistors work too. Have to say the effect circuit is absolutely fun! I’m...
I know they're two different beasts altogether, but I'd really recommend something based on the Mu-Tron III envelope filter, like the Fuzz Dog MOO-Tron, rather than the Vutron which is based on the Mu-Tron V envelope filter. If you're looking for a V-styled filter, I'm sure any of the available PCBs are great, but if you're looking for the classic Mu-Tron sound, as well as what I consider to be a much better filter in every way, you'll really want a III-styled filter.

I know they're two different beasts altogether, but I'd really recommend something based on the Mu-Tron III envelope filter, like the Fuzz Dog MOO-Tron, rather than the Vutron which is based on the Mu-Tron V envelope filter. If you're looking for a V-styled filter, I'm sure any of the available PCBs are great, but if you're looking for the classic Mu-Tron sound, as well as what I consider to be a much better filter in every way, you'll really want a III-styled filter.
Thanks will check them out. This is for bass guitar btw. Not sure if it matters.

I have built one and it’s meh/alright. Low part count so pretty easy. The Madbean MiniMu blows it out of the water.
Good to know!

Any chance you’ve a voltage map with 13700 IC? I pretty much traced the entire circuit for smoking Gun and I’m ready to give up.

Bypass works fine. When effect is turned on, I only get cleanish with less treble. No filter effect at all. I’ve checked wiring, component values, solder shorts and replaced ICs. I do get supplies correctly at IC pins vc 9v and vb 4.9ish. And have traced the Transistor voltages and pinouts. Using exact components per BOM, except 5088 instead of 5089. Rest are all per BOM.

Gotta check out other options from you guys .

Good to know!

Any chance you’ve a voltage map with 13700 IC? I pretty much traced the entire circuit for smoking Gun and I’m ready to give up.

Bypass works fine. When effect is turned on, I only get cleanish with less treble. No filter effect at all. I’ve checked wiring, component values, solder shorts and replaced ICs. I do get supplies correctly at IC pins vc 9v and vb 4.9ish. And have traced the Transistor voltages and pinouts. Using exact components per BOM, except 5088 instead of 5089. Rest are all per BOM.

Gotta check out other options from you guys .
I can check later and get some voltages for you. Can you please post some pictures of your board, Component and solder side along with the off board wiring (jacks/power/switch)

Reactions: NSJ
Madbean does a better job with layouts and documentation. pcbguitarwhatshisfuck lifts Madbean's designs, poorly. Just go to the source and talent and support a better human being.
That damn cosmos delay is the only pedal (from any pcb supplier) thus far I have not been able to troubleshoot or get working properly.

I can check later and get some voltages for you. Can you please post some pictures of your board, Component and solder side along with the off board wiring (jacks/power/switch)
Will do in a bit. I did have to go through lot of pain to replace stuff due to troubleshooting. It is definitely not a pretty sight. Interestingly, whatever I’ve done to it hasn’t changed the behavior at all since the beginning, which means I’m not looking at the right place or something weird with pcb. I did find one of pots needs 2-3 to be shorted per schematic but are not shorted on pcb.

Even if it is not the best effect out there, I’d like to not let this board go to waste. So hopefully I can resurrect it. If not then I’ll move on to better options suggested by pretty much all of you.

Lesson learned: First check in here with the pros before taking up a non-ppcb project. 🤘🙂

Has anyone ever successfully built one? I've never seen it
Only thing I have seen is troubleshooting requests on aforementioned Facebook group. Only reason I joined the group was for that build. For what it’s worth, I did build the vu-tron and their master phaser (maestro phaser) which both work, but have not bought anything from them since, nor will I
Edit: the only reason I built the master phaser is because they sent me that instead of the vu-tron. Had to contact them to send me the right board

Last edited:
It looks bad but I’ve made sure no blobs and accidental shorts are there. Again, not my usual work style but never had so much bad luck with any ppcb boards so far.

Let me know if quality of pics is horrible. I’ll try to zip higher quality pics.

Hope I can resurrect this board by comparing your notes. Or if you see any visual obvious stupidity that I will gladly rectify. 🙂🤘

Attachments

• 25284AB9-878C-404F-91A1-68E6E7672FF4.jpeg
    25284AB9-878C-404F-91A1-68E6E7672FF4.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 0226EC67-4FBB-41EE-B749-26316123E808.jpeg
    0226EC67-4FBB-41EE-B749-26316123E808.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 83387B02-27E2-4782-9713-3F81C8E872D8.jpeg
    83387B02-27E2-4782-9713-3F81C8E872D8.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 9FA181EC-F8FE-40D1-AD7A-3B92CB970C13.jpeg
    9FA181EC-F8FE-40D1-AD7A-3B92CB970C13.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 15
The 5088 and 5089 aren't interchangeable.
I did try nte47 prior to that as well- which is claimed to be a direct equivalent of 5089. Those are only ones I could source in USA. I do rightly have 5087 for the pnp.

What would be the differences in the context of this circuit? Do you mean pinout wise they’re different or straight up completely different parts from functionality and bias requirements?

I wondered ab that, but I was thinking the 5089 was a PNP, but upon google search I retracted my thought. Guess I need to look at some datasheets to figure out the differences between 5088 and 89
I’ll dig in too. 5089 is npn and 5087 is pnp. I’ve in the past successfully used 5088 in place of 5089. But this could very well be circuit dependent. Not sure.

From what in remember, 5089 is low noise brother of 5088. But maybe I missed something major in the context of vu-tron.

Back