PedalPCB Splendiferous Overdrive (Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive)

Brett

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Another fantastic overdrive! I've wanted to try this one for a long time after seeing the TPS episode with Matt Schofield.

First impressions of the pedal are great. This one has a very powerful eq and allows much more bass than your typical overdrive. I still have to spend more time with it but I definitely recommend trying this one out!

The build went smoothly thanks to PedalPCB's thoughtful layout work.

This is my first time to try an I/O board that I designed for a flush mounted DC jack. I used Tayda's line cutting service and it worked out nicely. I chose matte violet for this enclosure but it honestly looks a bit pink in most lighting. As with a couple of my other builds, I went with UV printing on this one with spot gloss in some areas for additional impact on the graphics.

Thanks for looking!
IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1619.JPG IMG_1620.JPG IMG_1616.JPG

I just now noticed the textured card suits in the pink......man that is super classy! Awesome stuff dude!!!
Totally agree! It's a great subtle effect, never seen that approach before.

I had knocked this off my next build cycle but between your build and Michael's, it's got back on there!

I just now noticed the textured card suits in the pink......man that is super classy! Awesome stuff dude!!!
Totally agree! It's a great subtle effect, never seen that approach before.

I had knocked this off my next build cycle but between your build and Michael's, it's got back on there!
Thank you both so much! The UV spot gloss is hard to capture in pictures, but I like what it adds to the finished enclosure!

That is awesome - and an amazingly clean build!

Quick question - how are you keeping your film capacitors so perfectly lined up? I always find that there's just enough slop in the spacing for them to want to shift when I flip the board over to solder.

This one is also on my list - I've gotten the enclosures in, but need to populate the boards... :D

That is awesome - and an amazingly clean build!

Quick question - how are you keeping your film capacitors so perfectly lined up? I always find that there's just enough slop in the spacing for them to want to shift when I flip the board over to solder.

This one is also on my list - I've gotten the enclosures in, but need to populate the boards... :D
Thank you @Fingolfen!

About the film caps:
It's mighty nice of you to say that they're "perfectly aligned" but they're far from perfect.

The short answer on the film cap alignment is that I spend too much time obsessing over it.

Here's how I normally handle capacitor alignment if I'm taking my time:
  • Orient text all the same direction (horizontal caps read left to right, vertical caps read bottom to top)
  • Center caps in the footprint and bend legs using a set of blunt tip ceramic tweezers right at the pad on the opposing side of the board with enough tension to hold them in place but not so much tension that it puts strain on the component.
  • Flip board over and verify that capacitor is still centered
  • Solder one leg of the capacitor (if one leg goes to ground, I always solder the other first because it takes less heat to bond)
  • Straighten the other bent component leg so it sticks straight through the pad
  • Flip board over and check alignment
    • if minor adjustment is needed: use tweezers to adjust
    • if major adjustment is needed: hold capacitor with one finger and heat up the soldered pad to adjust, continue to hold in place until solder is completely set
  • Once you're happy with the alignment, solder the other component leg from the bottom of the board
  • Reflow the first solder point to ensure that the component lead is not under tension
Did I mention that I spend too much time obsessing over it :ROFLMAO: ?

Okay - the "solder one side" then adjust is the bit I typically haven't done. I'm fairly OCD about component direction as well... Thanks!!! :D

That square hole for the power... W😲W!

Great job on your in/out board and the Tayda drilling.

Pro-level pedal right there.

Back