PedalPCB Whipped Cream OD Build - or - How's Steggo Going to Dino-fy This One????

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
For all of you who read my blog, in my preview post from a couple of weeks ago, I indicated that Steggo was working on a clone of the Aclam Woman Tone Overdrive pedal. At the time I said that the pedal had "...one of the most awesome dino enclosures [ever]." Of course, as I always start my build reports with photos of the PCB and gut shots of the enclosure, the actual photos of the completed exterior are at the end of the post. So in deference to those of you who read the last page of a novel first, I'll wait for you to scroll down and come back...

... okay, now that everyone's back. The Woman Tone pedal captures Eric Clapton's tone from his days in Cream using his custom Gibson SG and Marshall 100W amp (note to self, I still need to get a Gibson SG...). The new PedalPCB Whipped Cream board takes this pedal and shrinks it down to fit in a compact 125B form factor!

Pedal PCB - Whipped Cream - Diplodocus Gears - 01.jpg

From the photo above you can see that I've gone ahead and worked up three PCBs. While the boards are dense, they're very well laid out with the resistors in neat row, making soldering them straightforward. I typically use Yageo MFR series 1/4W metal film resistors with 1% tolerance. Unfortunately there are a couple of oddball values that aren't available in the MFR series anymore. The build uses one 5.1MΩ resistor which is no longer available in the MFR series. It is available in the MFR_S series, which is roughly half the size of the normal resistors (it's about the same size as a standard 1/8W resistor). It also uses a couple of 10MΩ resistors which Yageo only has available in a completely different series. So those of you with OCD will probably have some slight objections to my resistor loadout. There are surprisingly few capacitors, and I'm using the normal mix of WIMA and KEMET metal film caps and Nichicon electrolytic caps. The build also uses one 1N7000 and four J201 transistors. The build also requires a TY-141P Audio Transformer, which I picked up from PedalPCB along with the boards.

Pedal PCB - Whipped Cream - Diplodocus Gears - 02.jpg

While populating the circuit board was fairly straightforward, getting everything into the enclosure was slightly less so. The layout on the PCB is excellent if you follow the normal drill pattern, but I made the executive decision to go in a slightly modified direction with the enclosure because I wanted room for more art on the pedal itself. In other words, I was faced with choice between practicality and esthetics, and you know which one won that! I therefore adjusted the placement of the dual stomp switches and, more significantly as it turned out, the LEDs to roughly match the AionFX pattern as used on their Roland Bee-Baa clone I'd built previously. This means I had to run the leads for the LEDs about a centimeter toward the middle of the enclosure. I ended up adding heat shrink to the leads rather than replacing them with wire because the fit was fairly tight. Moving the stomp switches toward the corners also meant I couldn't simply use pin headers to connect the two footswitch daughter boards to the main PCB, but ribbon cable did the job nicely.

Pedal PCB - Whipped Cream - Diplodocus Gears - 03.jpg

I'll be honest, coming up with a suitably unique dinosaur-themed name and enclosure for this pedal took a little while, but once inspiration hit, I took the idea and ran with it. There wasn't much dinosaur related I could do with "The Woman Tone," and this is a very different overdrive than the "Steggo-San" or "Zen Steggo" pedals, so just calling it the (insert dino reference here) Overdrive just wasn't going to cut it. Thinking back, the album where Eric Clapton really used the tone the most was Disraeli Gears. Once I had that reference in my head, throw in a steampunk diplodocus and some of the craziest Adobe Illustrator work I've ever done, and voilà instant awesome enclosure... well, not really instant - it took hours.

As to the sound of the pedal, it absolutely nails it. I'm still experimenting with the "color" control on the Whipped Cream, but I really like the fact that what is an internal switch on the original is an external switch on the PedalPCB version. Granted, I've only tested it with one of my Epiphone Les Pauls at this point; I really need to get the Gibson out and really put it through its paces. Sadly I don't have an SG to get 100% authentic (yet), but when that happy day arrives, I know what pedal I'm running it through first!

Original blog entry: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2022/10/cloning-aclam-woman-tone-pedalpcbs.html

Attachments

• Pedal PCB - Whipped Cream - Diplodocus Gears - 01.jpg
    Pedal PCB - Whipped Cream - Diplodocus Gears - 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Nice, I'm waiting on the build docs to start mine...Unless you have an in!
I could tell you... but then...

Nah, I just grabbed the BOM from this thread and painted by numbers: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/whipped-cream-overdrive.12738/

I also snagged the unverified drill template from this thread: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/whipped-cream-overdrive.12738/

... of course, then I took that template into Photoshop and messed around with it to finalize my personal template.

Nice build!! Working on one myself right now and wondering about the caps. Mine are all 25v but the pcb says 16v.
Does anybody know if 25v will do it? I would normally never care, but with a transformer in the build and "16v" clearly written on the pcb it makes me think twice.

Nice build!! Working on one myself right now and wondering about the caps. Mine are all 25v but the pcb says 16v.
Does anybody know if 25v will do it? I would normally never care, but with a transformer in the build and "16v" clearly written on the pcb it makes me think twice.
The voltage rating on the pcb indicates the minimum required. You can go above it, though you may run into space issues as capacitors scale in size along with voltage rating.

Back