Pharmacist Overdrive: Red pill...or blue pill?

jeffwhitfield

Many of the Pharmacist Overdrive pedals I've seen seem to always be inspired by the original...which has an obvious Beatles motif. I wanted to go against the grain a bit. So, I figure why not make it more of a Matrix inspired thing, thus the whole "red pill / blue pill" thing. Turned out pretty darn good I think. I was originally gonna use black knobs...till I learned that the ones I had were actually for smaller posts. Used a set of white ones I had on hand instead. Kind of glad I did. Gives it a more sterile look, which fits better for the theme.

This one surprised me a bit in terms of the tones it can produce. I haven't played with the internal pots yet but, even then, it sounds pretty damn good. In fact, I think adding a boost or anything before kind of hurts the tone. It just sounds really good on its own. Tried it out with a few different amp models and I just couldn't find many that it didn't sound good with. That's a true testament to a solid overdrive circuit if you ask me. :)

IMG_0076.jpeg
IMG_0077.jpeg

Looks ace! And from the demos I remember loving this. I have a board for it that I’ll get to eventually (I have like 15 others to build). Questions, if you don’t mind: where did you get those cool knobs? And which ribbon cables do you use and how do you strip them? I was working on a build today and I ruined 3 pieces of ribbon before figuring out how to strip them…

Question on this build. I'm looking at the board and seeing resistor values such as 57k6 and 348k. What did you use for those, or where did you find those particular resistors.

Nice build. Mach Schau indeed!

Question on this build. I'm looking at the board and seeing resistor values such as 57k6 and 348k. What did you use for those, or where did you find those particular resistors.
Ya know, a 56K and a 330K will sound the same. Those resistor values are not critical. Mouser carries those resistors if you're dead set on following the BOM exactly.

330K + 18K in series = 348K.

56K + 1.6K in series = 57.6K.

Not that I think it'd be worth the effort, but you could do it with less effort than tracking down particularly obscure resistor values.
thank you. that makes too much sense. i was just starting at the numbers and then not seeing a schematic, and kind of hit a brain lock.

Back