SOLVED Phase 2 sounding dark

Svenson007

Hey guys. This might be a shot in the dark, but figured I’d ask. I’ve built about 4 previous Pedal PCB Phase 2 pedals. They have all sounded amazing. I remember plugging in a boss at phase to compare the two and the Mutron blew it out of the water. Now with the same comparison the boss sounds louder and much brighter. Just better .

I just built one for somebody today and it’s sounding darker (less presence?) then I remember. I forgot to route the input wire far from the LFO and I’m not getting any ticking like I always have. Id expect it to be ticking when the wire is so close. So that just adds to my suspicion that something isn’t right. I was super careful and not sure where I could have gone wrong. Also some volume drop. A bit more then I remember.

It has a classic “tone suck” sound to it :(

If anyone could help me with knowing where to look that wound be great as it’s a little complex. I’m not sure which resistors / capacitors are involved with what on this build. Phasers are pretty new for me, so I’m pretty clueless. No idea what part of the circuit is responsible for the “tone” content exactly.

I changed out all the tlo72 opamps just in case and no change. I’ll attach a pic but I’m not sure how much it will help.

Help!

Attachments

• F4C0CE53-7839-4575-903F-959704EB91A2.png
    F4C0CE53-7839-4575-903F-959704EB91A2.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 27C23368-55D0-4E03-95F2-05173CD0ECC1.png
    27C23368-55D0-4E03-95F2-05173CD0ECC1.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 32
  • FC0E6EA2-A8E3-481C-9544-A47515C2A347.jpeg
    FC0E6EA2-A8E3-481C-9544-A47515C2A347.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: fig
It can get confusing, but Fig is correct. The stripe on electrolytic caps is the negative side, and on most PCBs the e-caps are oriented the same way, so if one has a stripe facing the other way, check the build doc.

It appears that C16 is installed with the polarity reversed (aka backwards)
I’ve done my fair share of silly things building. But this is a first haha. It was defiantly backwards. Thanks man!

Now there is a new problem though. The depth knob doesn’t seem to have an effect. My other 4 phase 2’s were incredibly smooth. No problems until now…

It can get confusing, but Fig is correct. The stripe on electrolytic caps is the negative side, and on most PCBs the e-caps are oriented the same way, so if one has a stripe facing the other way, check the build doc.
Like I said to fig, that is one thing I’ve never screwed up. Until now haha. I have it flipped around now. Sounds great…. But depth no longer works. Weird ….

Have you tried adjusting the trimmers since flipping the cap?
This is likely unrelated, but might affect one of the LDRs..(R22,R6)
sjHjKdx.jpg

Have you tried adjusting the trimmers since flipping the cap?
This is likely unrelated, but might affect one of the LDRs..(R22,R6)
sjHjKdx.jpg
Good spot Fig! I went around with a guitar pic making sure no resistors weren’t touching legs after the pic was taken. Yes I messed around with the trim pots for quite a while but that wasn’t it either. I promised my friend one ASAP, so I think I’m just going to set it aside for today because I have another phase board around. I’ll get back to this one with fresh eyes in a few days. Defiantly going to take my time with this fresh board.

Thanks guys!

One thing I’d add is if the DEPTH control was working prior to flipping the cap, then it sounds like something may need a reflow. (y)
I defiantly reflowed, but it’s possible I didn’t get everything. I was tired and probably shouldn’t have been building a pedal anyways haha. I can’t be 100% sure the depth was working before the flip as it sounded muddy and I was mostly focused on that.

I built another phase 2 today. Took my time, and did a much tidier job. Sounds great! I’ll check the other circuit in a few days. I’ve seen enough phaser for now haha.

Cheers

Back