Phase II and Angry Andy +

aefpv

As noted in an earlier build post, I am in a constant search for Jimmy Page’s sound. The Sola Sound Hybrid Tonebender nails his fuzz, but I was still looking for his stacked Marshal amp and phaser used in songs like “Nobody’s fault but mine.” This weekend, I found the holy grail for this song.

The phase II provides the best phaser that I have heard. I am retiring my perfboard Phase 90 in favor of the smoothness of the phase II. Couple the phase II with the Angry Andy + and you have ZOSO heaven.

I am going to create some controversy, but I think the Angry Andy may be better than my King Of Tone. I believe that it creates a better body of sound, a fuller sound. I didn’t think I would like the boost feature, but it makes me want to try the Xotic boost that is enjoyed by many.

As for the artwork, I am still using the midlife, woman’s dream called Cricut. The phase II’s theme is straight forward 1980’s, but the Angry Andy + has an old style “&.” Since this pedal is an “Andy,” it made since to use the “and” symbol. I know, kind of cheesy. Well, thanks for reading.
F8237304-4CA7-433A-B4E0-08B8D37F8B84.jpeg C1ED4EA7-45B6-4002-A09E-0E10C7CC4CB6.jpeg 78DC89A1-6C55-4F86-8C73-140FC183763E.jpeg D8E8D258-18DC-47E2-8F25-775E52A81C3F.jpeg

aefpv

Great work. I have had my eye on that phase pedal for a while.
If you build the phase II, I would recommend ordering the 1/8 W resistors. The smaller size is needed. I forgot to get them with my original order and had to place a second order.

Coda

If you build the phase II, I would recommend ordering the 1/8 W resistors. The smaller size is needed. I forgot to get them with my original order and had to place a second order.

It can be done with 1/4 W resistors, it you put them in on an angle. The Phase II is THE phaser…

MichaelW

Does your Angry Andy squeal if the gain is above noon and the boost is engaged? I still haven't figured this one out yet. I built 3 of them, they all do it. VERY NICE looking builds!

MichaelW

It can be done with 1/4 W resistors, it you put them in on an angle. The Phase II is THE phaser…
I actually pulled all the resistors in 1/4 watt when I was prepping for his build. Was planning to build them at an angle.

I went to go put R1 in and looked at the board a little close......and said "naaaaaaahhhhhh...." Placed a Tayda order for 1/8 watt resistors. They are ridiculously cheap. You CAN do it with 1/4's but it's a tight squeeze.

aefpv

Does your Angry Andy squeal if the gain is above noon and the boost is engaged? I still haven't figured this one out yet. I built 3 of them, they all do it. VERY NICE looking builds!
No. It seems to perform as expected. I wish I had the knowledge to help. Good luck with it.

aefpv

I actually pulled all the resistors in 1/4 watt when I was prepping for his build. Was planning to build them at an angle.

I went to go put R1 in and looked at the board a little close......and said "naaaaaaahhhhhh...." Placed a Tayda order for 1/8 watt resistors. They are ridiculously cheap. You CAN do it with 1/4's but it's a tight squeeze.
It was due to your build report that I got the 1/8 W resistors. It was a great build!

Coda

The only issue I had was that I used a 330k for a 330R (or something like that). Other than that it was smooth sailing…

Nic

Mine does the same thing, only with boost engaged and it will start to squeal sooner or later depending on : EQ, Gain and boost levels. With EQ full CW, the squeal will be more present. I think I've seen a post suggesting a resistance on a pot's leg to tame it, but had not the time to come back at it.