Photon Vibe, it works!

andare

This was a tight build, I also soldered two of the trimpots in the wrong spot because they fit better before realizing they were different values. All fixed even though TR1 looks upside down but there's only one way it goes in and it works as intended.

20210901_152252.jpg
20210901_152228.jpg

Once again this was a kit from Musikding. I replaced the 33uF electros with 5mm ones for a better fit (and still they're all crooked). I also used those nice blue ceramic discs instead of the tiny brick-colored ones they supplied.
Musikding always messes up the jack holes and the Lumbergs never fit right, hence the electrical tape.

I use kits cause I can't drill enclosures but I'll see if I can remedy that. After building 8 pedals I'm not always happy with the parts provided, might as well order my own.

This is a good pedal, easy to dial in with the trimmers. Plenty of volume and the Low and High knobs can fatten up or slim down your tone.
I wish it was chewier and there more speed and depth on tap. Also a bit noisy but nothing major.

Looking at the Electrovibe next!

Nicely done!

Absolutely nothing wrong with using kits IMO, although if you plan to build a collection of pedal you'd save some money buying a few passive assortment kits like film & electrolytic caps, resistors and diodes. Knobs sometimes inflate the price as well. Find some basic black or white knobs on sale (they match just about anything) as you can always change them to something more dazzling later on.

I have heard mixed reviews concerning Musikding's QC. Hopefully they can improve upon that as they seem to be a "goto" in the EU.

Nicely done!

Absolutely nothing wrong with using kits IMO, although if you plan to build a collection of pedal you'd save some money buying a few passive assortment kits like film & electrolytic caps, resistors and diodes. Knobs sometimes inflate the price as well. Find some basic black or white knobs on sale (they match just about anything) as you can always change them to something more dazzling later on.

I have heard mixed reviews concerning Musikding's QC. Hopefully they can improve upon that as they seem to be a "goto" in the EU.
Yes now I'm looking to stock up on basic components and knobs. One can never have enough knobs.

I think Musikding is great but they are a two-person operation if I'm not mistaken and they are slow to send out orders. I only had one order where they shipped the wrong PCB but they sent the right one a week later.

Reactions: fig
Great job! Like @fig said there's nothing wrong with getting a kit. That's how I started and recommend that way for anyone starting down this potential rabbit hole!

Reactions: fig
Good job!

If you angle the jacks so the ground lug is towards the enclosure, you don't need to worry about them making contact (since the enclosure is part of the grounding — at least in theory. Maybe somebody with more experience could refute/confirm that.

At any rate, I've had a tight build (also a vibe-ish circ) with Lumbergs set just as I've described — they may or may not be making contact, I'd have to open the pedal up and take another look.

Good job!

If you angle the jacks so the ground lug is towards the enclosure, you don't need to worry about them making contact (since the enclosure is part of the grounding — at least in theory. Maybe somebody with more experience could refute/confirm that.

At any rate, I've had a tight build (also a vibe-ish circ) with Lumbergs set just as I've described — they may or may not be making contact, I'd have to open the pedal up and take another look.
I know but Musikding cut the hole so close to the corner that I can't turn the input jack inward since the Lumberg jack is not round.

Here's my build I was talking about, a Madbean Wigl based on John Hollis' Easy Vibe in a 1590B; note the jacks' ground lugs; No room to turn. Had to lay down a cap to ensure a plug didn't smack it. Taper-reamers come in handy, I keep tellin' people.,,

cowgirl0-jpeg.4199832

Next one I build will have a spacer inserted between the jacks and enclosure so I don't have to shave the lid's lip.

Here's my build I was talking about, a Madbean Wigl based on John Hollis' Easy Vibe in a 1590B; note the jacks' ground lugs; No room to turn. Had to lay down a cap to ensure a plug didn't smack it. Taper-reamers come in handy, I keep tellin' people.,,

cowgirl0-jpeg.4199832

Next one I build will have a spacer inserted between the jacks and enclosure so I don't have to shave the lid's lip.
I see but the jacks won't fit that way in my build.

Back