Photon Vibe

nice build, what LDRs did you use for your build?, i have the typical tayda LDR on hand and some left over GL5516,, think their useable?

Cool! So what's your thinking on lamp vs. LED? We know the original Uni-Vibe used a lamp because LEDs weren't in production yet. Most of the clones out there use LEDs.

The Photon uses a lamp, where the Phase 2 uses an LED. For me I can get a better sound out of the Phase II. Might just be me though.

I couldn't help but notice that you put your voltage regulator upside down, in respect to the board that is. I put Ic 5 with the flat part facing upward and my pedal is whining, so I guess the pcb is wrong. Have any of you guys noticed that?

Attachments

• asdkfaskgzag.JPG
    asdkfaskgzag.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 11
Mine is built IAW the silkscreen & build docs; it works as it should.

As for the Photon and Phase II sounding different, they're supposed to sound different and it's not because of the lamp. Phase II is a 6-stage phase shifter and all 6 stages are tuned the same. The Photon Vibe is a 4-stage phase shifter and the stages are stagger-tuned. The Photon has Hi-Cut and Low-Cut controls that will alter the tone. The lamp and LED sweep differently because the lamp takes time to ramp the brightness up and down. It's called thermal inertia. The LED tracks the LFO with no lag. The relationship between current and brightness are different for the lamp and LED.

I couldn't help but notice that you put your voltage regulator upside down, in respect to the board that is. I put Ic 5 with the flat part facing upward and my pedal is whining, so I guess the pcb is wrong. Have any of you guys noticed that?
what charge pump are you using?

Back