Polar Cap Fuzz

manfesto

@PedalPCB i think the drill template in the build docs may have the LED in the wrong spot?

—————

So this is definitely a “fuzz for people who don’t like fuzz”, or a “distortion for people who like op-amp clipping” - in a lot of settings this thing feels more like a very open-sounding overdrive than a fuzz, even in the “infinite” gain (which the math says is around 70dB) setting where it gates, it still doesn’t feel compressed the way most fuzzes do - it still feels like an overdrive.

(also when you switch to “infinite” mode, the gating behavior seems to take a few seconds to settle in and start to gate.)

It’s an interesting idea for a dirt box that doesn’t quite sound or feel like anything else I’ve tried (a Rat with diode-lift is probably a decent point of reference, but this is definitely clearer than that), relying entirely on op-amp rail clipping, but the tone controls are the real stars here - very powerful and very well-tuned. I’m still hoping for a Rous-based board, would *love* to try these controls with a Rat circuit!

(also, this is a *pricey* build because of the OPA2134 and the LTC1144. I get that it’s cool on paper to feed it 18V to get 36V rail-to-rail, but honestly, in this circuit, it doesn’t sound different enough to warrant an $8 charge pump imho.)

also, I used two 100uF electrolytics rated for 100V; I was worried they wouldn’t fit but they did! So don’t be afraid to go bigger if it’s what you have access to.

Attachments

• CB639040-DDE8-43A6-B5B9-6F9FA21E903B.jpeg
    CB639040-DDE8-43A6-B5B9-6F9FA21E903B.jpeg
    770 KB · Views: 41
  • FCCD8EDC-A362-4184-A82E-9DBD90C4D6F8.jpeg
    FCCD8EDC-A362-4184-A82E-9DBD90C4D6F8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Super clean!

Coupla Qs:
1) What's the font for the controls!?
2) Quick peak at the schematic suggests this sucker'd be good on bass (especially with 36V!); Good on bass?

Back