Portafuzz- b side fuzz

Harry Klippton

I assembled this maybe last June and only just boxed it. I redid the decal twice cuz i kept goofing it. It sounds good and is useful. I'm a big fan of that tascam distortion!

I can't decide if i like the blue knobs or the white. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• received_522311605401178.jpeg
    received_522311605401178.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 58
  • received_1093839654459742.jpeg
    received_1093839654459742.jpeg
    688.9 KB · Views: 60
Just breadboarded this circuit and just came across this thread while I was looking to see if anyone had tried any mods to the circuit (I tried raising both C1 and C5 to 10µF to see if it would give me more of the classic flubby portastudio bass fartiness, but neither made very much of a perceptible difference if at any. Stock circuit it'll be!). Nice build- has that tascam look for sure.

I dig the blue knobs– which did you end up keeping on in the end?

Just breadboarded this circuit and just came across this thread while I was looking to see if anyone had tried any mods to the circuit (I tried raising both C1 and C5 to 10µF to see if it would give me more of the classic flubby portastudio bass fartiness, but neither made very much of a perceptible difference if at any. Stock circuit it'll be!). Nice build- has that tascam look for sure.

I dig the blue knobs– which did you end up keeping on in the end?
Looks like I left it as is
IMG_20230104_105024958.jpg

Nice! I actually like the separate blue and white a lot. It fits the tascam theme and is pretty similar to what I have going on with a tascam-in-a-box that I’ve been working on— I’ll send you a pic of it at some point. Just need to do the PCB layout at this point
I can't wait to see it. I kept the two different color knobs because that's how the portastudios are. I think this was my first or second no film decal. I actually had a waterslide on there before this that was a little truer to the tascam look with white lettering and some other colors but I stripped it off in favor of the no film

I like the Blue knobs for EQ with the White knobs for overall output.

I gave my 244 to my friend's little brother, who was just getting into guitar/music, to encourage him ... Sadly, he more than likely pawned it within a few years to fund his growing substance abuse.

Now I'm back into making music and would love to use it again.

We all have so much in common it’s crazy.
I’m guessing there’s a “slightly” older group here that predates multi track cassette. No pictures, but I had a 7 inch reel to reel Teac. Just 2 tracks. My high school Theater department had a 4 track, a big Ampex, that I can remember borrowing (finally, as a senior I had enough cred to allow my teachers to break the rules) to try and do some Frodo and the Hobbits (I had never read the books until meeting the drummer, who was more or less the band leader…) demos.

Not to say that I didn’t have a Tascam (or two) in later years. There may even be something still in the darker reaches of my attic.

I’m guessing there’s a “slightly” older group here that predates multi track cassette. No pictures, but I had a 7 inch reel to reel Teac. Just 2 tracks. My high school Theater department had a 4 track, a big Ampex, that I can remember borrowing (finally, as a senior I had enough cred to allow my teachers to break the rules) to try and do some Frodo and the Hobbits (I had never read the books until meeting the drummer, who was more or less the band leader…) demos.

Not to say that I didn’t have a Tascam (or two) in later years. There may even be something still in the darker reaches of my attic.
I'm not old enough but I (now) have a 2 track Akai reel to reel. I used it often until about a year and a half ago. It now needs some service to get back to working condition but I was just saying to a friend that when I get a chance to work on it, I'm going to patch it in to my recording setup

I used to have to de-mag and clean a 24-track Studer 2” reel-to-reel, on the night shift, amongst the other 2-track machines. I remember the engineer’s name, but not the studio’s. 😸
Then in the morning I’d have to drive my Dad’s car homeso he wouldn’t be be late for going to work.

Does any co even make 2” tape anymore?

Back