Potentiometer question

thedwest

I just got my order in from Tayda and they put a500k pots in a bag marked for a1m pots. My question is, aside from waiting until I get the right pot, could I substitute a b1m or a500k and make either work in place of the a1m? This is for the Son of Ben preamp pedal.

thanks

You will be short on the drive. At maxed setting, it will only give you half the drive. you can probably insert a 500k resistor before pin 3 or after pin 2 of the 500k pot. If you have two 500ks you can series them so you can still get the full range. Or just wait for your replacement pot.

Since the drive pot is wired as a voltage do wider (like a volume pot) in this circuit, 500k would still give you the max drive.

But it would affect the tone. C3 and the drive pot form a high pass filter (bass cut). So changing to 500k would change the frequency of this filter.

1MB will work exactly like a 1MA, just with a different taper. So it will be a little harder to dial in just right at low gains.

Thanks for the info. Out of impatience, I went ahead and used the a500k. Definitely a bad choice. Just turning the drive knob to 1 made it super loud and aggressive, leveling off about halfway. So from 5 to 10 there wasn't much of a difference. I'll try the b1m since i have a bit before the right pot gets here.

Just for the sake of correcting myself, I took another look and I think 500k was will be les max gain than 1M because R6 is so high, so even at Max gain it’s forming a voltage divider with R6. And it will affect how that treble compensation network sounds (C4 and R7). Regardless, I’d say try 1MB like you’re planning to do.

Back