Power Supplies

Big Monk

I’ve been chasing down power supply noise ever since adding my Strymon pedals and my NuX Roctary. I had originally been using well regulated, but not isolated, power bricks by Otraki. They are great, have a small footprint with mounting flanges for screwing them down and plenty of outputs:

61RoiBODI6L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

71SrpMWRHrL._AC_SX679_.jpg

When I added the big box digital pedals (Roctary, El Cap, and Flint) I started experience digital “whine” from the non-isolated supplies.

Enter the Mosky ISO10:

81bmRX7FMaL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

While it killed the severe “whine” it introduced other noise that was not there with my cheap Otraki supplies, including EM noise from the transformers.

So, I returned the Mosky today and bought another large and small Otraki device. I already had a large (10 output) and a small (7 output) unit. I’ll run the 2 smalls for my digital stuff to provided isolation with the rest of my board and the 2 larges for everything else.

I contemplated the Strymon and Cioks switch mode supplies but that’s a ridiculous investment for bashing out licks in my bonus room. I tested the digital stuff isolated on its own otraki supply and the noise was reasonable given I have 18 pedals running on my board.

What is everyone else using for power supplies?

Harry Klippton

I use a truetone cs6 or a voodoo labs pedal power 2+. My most used amp has a terrible effects loop that is really noisy and it's no fun so I recently started running everything in front

Harry Klippton

Any noise issues with those? Are you running any digital effects?
I occasionally run some digital stuff and get some noise. It's enough to make me not want to leave those pedals on my board all the time, but I'm not sure if it's because of the supply, the pedals themselves, or the bad effects loop

Big Monk

I occasionally run some digital stuff and get some noise. It's enough to make me not want to leave those pedals on my board all the time, but I'm not sure if it's because of the supply, the pedals themselves, or the bad effects loop

I think down the line I’ll grab the MXR Iso-Brick. That’s got 4 500 mA isolated outputs. That will cover my Flint, Roctary, El-Cap and my future Dig
purchase.

Mentaltossflycoon

Gigrig, too expensive, no regrets. I was shocked when my wife agreed with my logic on this purchase. Highly recommend if you're afraid you'll outgrow the other offerings. As far as cost,
Cioks+another cioks costs more than the gigrig that suits my needs/plans.

Big Monk

Gigrig, too expensive, no regrets. I was shocked when my wife agreed with my logic on this purchase. Highly recommend if you're afraid you'll outgrow the other offerings. As far as cost,
Cioks+another cioks costs more than the gigrig that suits my needs/plans.

My only issue with GigRig is that to provide isolation, I’d need 4 TimeLords and then I’d just be better off getting a compact 1a mini wall wart for each of my digital pedals.

Unless I’m mistaken. The generator does not provide isolated out, right?

Mentaltossflycoon

Correct, there's the isolator module w 4 outputs and then singles for the higher needs/digital stuff. I bought 2 distributors an el paso(radial bassbone), a timelord(ehx hog), and 2 isolators. A few things are plugged directly into the generator until I can justify ordering another isolator or two but like I said, as of now I'm noise free and can expand when the day comes. All my digital stuff including fv1 pedals are isolated. Just a few fuzz and od riding dirty.

Big Monk

Correct, there's the isolator module w 4 outputs and then singles for the higher needs/digital stuff. I bought 2 distributors an el paso(radial bassbone), a timelord(ehx hog), and 2 isolators. A few things are plugged directly into the generator until I can justify ordering another isolator or two but like I said, as of now I'm noise free and can expand when the day comes. All my digital stuff including fv1 pedals are isolated. Just a few fuzz and od riding dirty.

I love how it’s modular but that would be stupid expensive for me. My board has 18 pedals on it, so I’d be in for well over $600 when all was said and done.