PSA: Flux Residue on Component Side of PCB

Betty Wont

I'm seeing a lot of build reports and more importantly, a lot of troubleshooting threads with serious amounts of flux residue on the component side of the pcb. Not sure how that's happening for a lot of you. I usually only get it around the pot pins, led, and maybe some wiring lugs. Other than the fact that I find it very untidy looking, it is just as advantageous to remove it from the top as it is the bottom of the board. It can trap debris and hide frayed wires that can cause shorts and bridges. Alcohol and contact cleaner don't work as easily on the component side. I remove it by letting it cool then poking it with a little awl or a bent out paperclip. It comes right off in big flakes and if you don't push hard you won't scratch the solder mask. I'd love to see the same amount of pride and beauty on the inside of your builds as you guys put into your enclosure artwork. Cheers! Betty is all about them guts!

Great advice.

I was soaking my boards in iso and scrubbing with a toothbrush and Kim wipes but have recently started using QD because I was using up way too much alcohol. That QD stuff is gnarly.

Edit: changed QT to QD. Don't worry, you're all still QT in my mind.

Last edited:
So I'm supposed to completely soak the populated PCB in isopropyl alcohol (sans pots, LEDs, wires)?
And then brush the bottom side clean?

Great advice.

I was soaking my boards in iso and scrubbing with a toothbrush and Kim wipes but have recently started using QD because I was using up way too much alcohol. That QD stuff is gnarly.

Edit: changed QT to QD. Don't worry, you're all still QT in my mind.
We’ll, QT works for me. Lately, I’ve been using Q-Tips doused in IPA to clean around the pot legs, LED and other solder on the component side, and found it worked pretty well. I’ll then brush off any little coton strands with the toothbrush I use to clean the solder side.

Back