Quality DIP Sockets

MaxDB54

I am going to use a machined 14 pin quality DIP Socket for the 24LC32A on the Arachnid pedal but thinking about using a single leaf 8 pin socket to make it easier to swap out EEPROM's.

What do you think about using a cheaper 8 pin socket on a guitar pedal? Am I asking for trouble?

1597196745072.png

Those machined pin sockets would make it harder to swap out EEPROM's especially down inside of the case.

Any opinions welcomed!

Thx!

I'm going to have the unpopular opinion here and say that I personally don't like machined sockets.

My experiences have been the opposite of most... After a few times with a machined socket I can't get the IC to stay in at all.

I've never had issues with the leaf type. My FV-1 evaluation board has one and I've literally plugged/unplugged that EEPROM thousands of times. I have to just barely install the IC or I can't get the damned thing out by hand. :ROFLMAO:

It's too bad they don't make an 8-pin ZIF.

I agree with Barry.
There may be some good stamped pin sockets, but I've never seen one. I've never had trouble with machined pin sockets, but it's rare for me to cycle them more than a few times.

ZIF sockets are the way to go if you want ease of insertion and removal. But they take up a lot or real estate. If the board had the space, you could use a 14 or 16-pin ZIF and just load the 8-pin DIP at one end. My USB EEPROM programmer is configured that way.

I have gotten to the point where I prefer the machined sockets, but don't recall having had problems with the stamped pin sockets when I have used them in the past. After a pedal is built and working I rarely swap out an IC anyway, except for eeproms on the fv-1 boards.

I've also never had any problems with cheap leaf type sockets. But I do not swap ICs, I just install them and forget.

I've also never had any problems with cheap leaf type sockets. But I do not swap ICs, I just install them and forget.

Same here, I've had ordered and installed more than a thousand of those and never had any issue. I kind of feel frightened about the machined one but that's only my personal inner fear.

Just because the leaf type are cheaper, doesn't make them cheap. They are far superior and more reusable than the machined type.

I have gotten to the point where I prefer the machined sockets, but don't recall having had problems with the stamped pin sockets when I have used them in the past. After a pedal is built and working I rarely swap out an IC anyway, except for eeproms on the fv-1 boards.

Yes that is what I am planning on doing.

Thx!

You have my sword.

And by sword I mean plastic tube of 100 sockets.

(My box from DigiKey was hilariously huge because of it)

Last edited:
I've used bazillions of cheap Tayda sockets and can only remember one of them failing and it was likely my fault. Machined are nice looking, low profile and good for a handful of uses.

I just solder them to the board, that way they don't come out.

JK, I like machined sockets best. But again I don't pull ICs out often.

Back