Question about combining two pedals with an effects loop between the two.

KR Sound

My friend wants me to build him a dual pedal- Cheese Source with Aion's boards Fuzz+OD with an effects loop between the two. Is it as easy as connecting the Fuzz out to a switched jack, then to another jack, the back into the OD in?

He basically wants this:

It would be these boards, but with an FX loop instead of the order:

Something like this?

1672844304150.png

I think you'll need switched jacks for the effects loop. I plan on doing something like this myself and have the same question. My thought is that normal jacks will not work, since if there's nothing plugged in, the circuit will be open. How to wire switched jacks for this, I don't know. I'm sure someone who's done this already will chime in shortly.

Switched jacks are the way to go on both the send and return. Have the output of the first effect go to the tip of the Send jack, wire the switch to the switch of the return. Tip of the Return jack goes to the input of the second effect and you are good to go!

When nothing is in the loop, signal goes from the send jack to the return jack through the switch, like you had both hardwired together. When a jack is inserted, that switched connection is broken, and the signal goes through whatever is in the loop.

Switched jacks are the way to go on both the send and return. Have the output of the first effect go to the tip of the Send jack, wire the switch to the switch of the return. Tip of the Return jack goes to the input of the second effect and you are good to go!

When nothing is in the loop, signal goes from the send jack to the return jack through the switch, like you had both hardwired together. When a jack is inserted, that switched connection is broken, and the signal goes through whatever is in the loop.
That’s what I thought. Appreciate it.

You could have another stomper wired between the switching jacks — then you could stomp the FX-loop on/off (handy if you need to bring in several FX at once, less tap-dancing).

I was just playing with a switched cliff jack yesterday and a plug and my multimeter. I'm going to make a chassis for a Champ out of a 10x6 Hammond sheet aluminum enclosure and this allows me to choose my component type. Left is the standard layout, to the right is the newer one I'm still working on. I needed to verify the cliff jack switching before moving from switchcraft to cliff jacks.... 1672945055647.png

Back