Question for EU/UK members

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone here from EU or UK received a PedalPCB order that was placed on (or after) July 1st?

I'm curious to know how the VAT fees are being handled by the destination country.

JamieJ

I have just received an order that was mailed on the 7th of July and I didn’t have to pay any additional charges to receive the item.

JamieJ

I'm going to be placing an order in a few days for the UK. I'm surprised your order got through unscathed @JamieJ
Maybe I got lucky or our government are a shambles.

There is another order on its way (the low tide came back into stock) so I can see what happens with that order too.

SillyOctpuss

Maybe I got lucky or our government are a shambles.

There is another order on its way (the low tide came back into stock) so I can see what happens with that order too.
I'd say you might have gotten lucky and our government DEFINITELY are a shambles. Though nothing new there 😉

NickC

my order is in now at customs but onother one from Tayda (DHL) was subject to fixed customs clearance fee 16,50€ plus VAT (GST ON IMPORTATION (TX)) in Italy is 22%

es. Tayda order 55$ + 16,50€ + 10,17€ (VAT)

and i think for Pedalpcb(USPS) order will be the same because europe has removed the limit of 22 euros (companies) and 46 euros (private individuals) to be exempt from taxes etc.

It's a pain in the A$$.

andare

my order is in now at customs but onother one from Tayda (DHL) was subject to fixed customs clearance fee 16,50€ plus VAT (GST ON IMPORTATION (TX)) in Italy is 22%

es. Tayda order 55$ + 16,50€ + 10,17€ (VAT)

and i think for Pedalpcb(USPS) order will be the same because europe has removed the limit of 22 euros (companies) and 46 euros (private individuals) to be exempt from taxes etc.

It's a pain in the A$$.
Fellow Italian here. I can't order anything from the USA. Last time I did (a bass neck) I paid $80 shipping and $90 import tax to Europe. Insane.

I order Pedal PCB products from Musikding in Germany to avoid being gouged by customs. Still gotta eat the DHL prices. The biggest problem is Musikding's delivery times are ridiculously long right now. They tale 3-4 weeks to deliver next door to Poland, where I live.

SillyOctpuss

They probably don't do it now but back when I used to order from tayda regularly they would put the value of my goods beneath the tax threshold for the uk. I don't think I paid any import fees over 4 years of ordering from them.

NickC

the Pedalpcb order (electrovibe pcb) just arrived, they charged me 5,68€ but it is not clear how they did the calculation

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member
They probably don't do it now but back when I used to order from tayda regularly they would put the value of my goods beneath the tax threshold for the uk.
My understanding is that as of July 1st there is no longer a threshold. All imports are subject to VAT, regardless of the value.

the Pedalpcb order (electrovibe pcb) just arrived, they charged me 5,68€ but it is not clear how they did the calculation

That's pretty close to 20% of the total value including shipping costs, so fairly close to what I expected... thankfully no "processing" fees tacked on.

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member
They have some unrealistic expectations for sellers...

They want sellers to collect VAT at the time of sale and remit those payments quarterly... but it doesn't stop there...

They also expect the seller to verify your location (and tax jurisdiction) with two supporting documents and keep this information on file for FIVE YEARS, which really blows my mind with all the uproar about GDPR. If a buyer gives incorrect or misleading information the seller is on the hook.

At the moment collecting VAT is optional, in those cases it will still be charged on delivery, but there has been mention of a processing fee similar to DHLs "broker" fees if they have to collect their own VAT.... of course they offer the sellers nothing for doing their work for them... aside from hefty fines if we miscalculate VAT or conversion rates for a foreign currency.

I can see larger corporations like Amazon, eBay, and Reverb handling this with ease, but I suspect you're going to see more and more smaller businesses just stop selling to EU / UK altogether.

SillyOctpuss

They want sellers to collect VAT at the time of sale and remit those payments quarterly... but it doesn't stop there...

They also expect the seller to verify your location (and tax jurisdiction) with two supporting documents and keep this information on file for FIVE YEARS, which really blows my mind with all the uproar about GDPR. If a buyer gives incorrect or misleading information the seller is on the hook.

At the moment collecting VAT is optional, in those cases it will still be charged on delivery, but there has been mention of a processing fee similar to DHLs "broker" fees if they have to collect their own VAT.... of course they offer the sellers nothing for doing their work for them... aside from hefty fines if we miscalculate VAT or conversion rates for a foreign currency.

I can see larger corporations like Amazon, eBay, and Reverb handling this with ease, but I suspect you're going to see more and more smaller businesses just stop selling to EU / UK altogether.and

Edit - sorry for the rant. I've had a pretty crappy day and I'm tired of everything brexit related. Pointless angry rantings removed.

I genuinely don't blame smaller sellers for not shipping to the UK anymore. The entire shambolic affair has been a colossal clusterfuzz from the start.

Last edited:

SillyOctpuss

My understanding is that as of July 1st there is no longer a threshold. All imports are subject to VAT, regardless of the value.

Wow I just had a look and you're completely correct they've removed the thresholds for every country and not just the EU. Well shit I honestly hadn't seen that.

Feral Feline

Smuggling will be on the rise, but not drugs, just every-day commodities.

Try to make friends with someone who has a diplomatic pouch and travels often...

Flying

This situation is possibly going to curtail/kill this hobby for me, I don't mind the TAX being paid it's that the 'handling' fee is proportionally too high.

If I want to build a pedal in the UK I either make my own PCB (simple designs only) or I get it from Musikding. Then other parts from Tayda usually a £15 order, well both of them are now going to have a £10 to £12 handling charge (Royal Mail, DHL might be different), having had a quick look at past orders, I usually build a couple of pedals at a time, so these handling charges are going to cost me 1/3 more, I've not added the TAX yet, but like I say it's not the TAX I take issue with.

My mate was interested in a KoT clone, I cost it up for me to get the parts, labour would be free, we decided he was better of going with the DemonFX King of Drive which were all over the UK ebay a couple of weeks ago for about £55.

Barry

I can see larger corporations like Amazon, eBay, and Reverb handling this with ease, but I suspect you're going to see more and more smaller businesses just stop selling to EU / UK altogether.
Or you sell through a platform like Amazon, which may well be their end game

Bricksnbeatles

This situation is possibly going to curtail/kill this hobby for me, I don't mind the TAX being paid it's that the 'handling' fee is proportionally too high.

If I want to build a pedal in the UK I either make my own PCB (simple designs only) or I get it from Musikding. Then other parts from Tayda usually a £15 order, well both of them are now going to have a £10 to £12 handling charge (Royal Mail, DHL might be different), having had a quick look at past orders, I usually build a couple of pedals at a time, so these handling charges are going to cost me 1/3 more, I've not added the TAX yet, but like I say it's not the TAX I take issue with.

My mate was interested in a KoT clone, I cost it up for me to get the parts, labour would be free, we decided he was better of going with the DemonFX King of Drive which were all over the UK ebay a couple of weeks ago for about £55.
Does that even apply for you if you’re buying from a UK-based company? I thought the whole (flawed) premise of those fees was to encourage domestic buying instead of imports

Flying

The major suppliers in the UK are CPC, Rapid and RS, through them I can get my resistors and enclosures, most capacitors, some pots, some knobs, some OpAmps and some SMD FETs, but increasingly the range is getting smaller and smaller, CPC who used to be my go place I think is running down all their stocks of opamps. So a typical pedal order would require ordering from two UK suppliers, to get into the free postage you need to spend between £20 and £36 depending on supplier otherwise it is £5 P&P, which is fine if I could get all I want at one place. But that still doesn't get me the PCB which has to come from Europe or the US, and quite often a pot value or some other thing just isn’t available in the UK so it’s a Tayda order. Interestingly Rapid do the 16mm Alpha pots, but the rotation resistance is consistently less than the same pot from Tayda, and I like my pots to feel smooth with a nice bit of resistance when turning them. ;)

Another thing is that often things are in minimal orders, not always but I have occasionally been hunting an opamp only to discover I can only buy a tube of 50! I appreciate that selling to individuals at very small scales must be a pain for them, which is why Tayda is/was very convenient for me.

SillyOctpuss

The major suppliers in the UK are CPC, Rapid and RS, through them I can get my resistors and enclosures, most capacitors, some pots, some knobs, some OpAmps and some SMD FETs, but increasingly the range is getting smaller and smaller, CPC who used to be my go place I think is running down all their stocks of opamps. So a typical pedal order would require ordering from two UK suppliers, to get into the free postage you need to spend between £20 and £36 depending on supplier otherwise it is £5 P&P, which is fine if I could get all I want at one place. But that still doesn't get me the PCB which has to come from Europe or the US, and quite often a pot value or some other thing just isn’t available in the UK so it’s a Tayda order. Interestingly Rapid do the 16mm Alpha pots, but the rotation resistance is consistently less than the same pot from Tayda, and I like my pots to feel smooth with a nice bit of resistance when turning them. ;)

Another thing is that often things are in minimal orders, not always but I have occasionally been hunting an opamp only to discover I can only buy a tube of 50! I appreciate that selling to individuals at very small scales must be a pain for them, which is why Tayda is/was very convenient for me.
I feel your pain on this dude. Bitsbox are pretty decent for opamps and smaller amounts of resistors/caps etc. They've really stepped up their game in the last few years to cater for pedal diyers. I've found some surprising mojo tastic bits through them when they can find them.