Randall RRED...PLEASE!

Caldo71

Hi PedalPCB Admins! Firstly let me say that having just now discovered your site/forum and about to embark on my first build, I am thoroughly BLOWN AWAY by the comprehensive breadth and scope of your overdrive/distortion offerings.

So here’s the pitch: I think a biggie you’re missing, and a massively underappreciated/undernoticed gem of the heavy metal crunch world is the Randall RRED pedal—itself based on the amazing jfet distortion circuit from the Randall RG80/100 solid state amps as made famous by the tones on the first two Pantera albums, and if you didn’t know, also on Dokken’s “Tooth and Nail”. To my ears it’s the PERFECT metal distortion: crazy-tight, yet rich and huge. Beautiful string-to-string separation, airy top end. Compressed but not sterile.

I own a couple of these in case one dies, and I live in abject fear of Randall discontinuing these painfully under-promoted stompboxes. I really need this circuit immortalized.

So HOW ABOUT IT?!?!

2nd this, didn’t know about these at all til now. The RGOD would be sweet too. Probably too big though. Can you take a picture of the circuit board of the RRED Caldo?

I’ll TRY in a bit...mine’s a little (lot?) f#%ed up-looking visually cuz I kind of deconstructed it a bit with some awkward wire leads to get it into a 1RU rack enclosure. I’ll try and de-rack it and get a clear pic with the wires out of the way soon.

I remember these, haven't seen them in a while.

I'll have to get my hands on one.

If you can post a pic so I have an idea what to expect that'd be great, but don't destroy yours in the process, I'll most likely still need to get one either way.

In the meantime, here’s one of several threads related to recreating the Randall RG100 preamp sound, which I am WAY too newb to make heads or tails of...

...and then as-per the link shared near the end of that thread, here’s a guy in AZ who seems to have worked out the kinks and is selling his own stompbox version, handbuilt and perhaps thus justifiably for about twice the cost of a rred...
...but then his discontinued earlier version DOES have a photo of the populated PCB...

I remember these, haven't seen them in a while.

I'll have to get my hands on one.

If you can post a pic so I have an idea what to expect that'd be great, but don't destroy yours in the process, I'll most likely still need to get one either way.
LOL @PedalPCB it’s pretty “destroyed” already but in a kind of do-no-harm fashion: I ACTUALLY destroyed one of these pedals attempting to desolder the jacks and 3PTD to get it ready to remount in a rack enclosure. So on the second one I actually just made 1/4” TS “jumpers” to get me to the back-of-enclosure jacks, snipped the control pots off and soldered wire “extenders” from their stumps to the front panel, and snipped off the top of the 3PDT with a dremel...then adding nine more extenders. Literally ANYTHING to keep my dumb ass from once again burning out traces via desoldering or scratching the epoxy off the pcb and exposing copper.

It looks like utter unprofessional shit and you’ll laugh when you see my photos eventually...but it worked.

I’ll TRY in a bit...mine’s a little (lot?) f#%ed up-looking visually cuz I kind of deconstructed it a bit with some awkward wire leads to get it into a 1RU rack enclosure. I’ll try and de-rack it and get a clear pic with the wires out of the way soon.
Any Pictures of the Circuit?

Any Pictures of the Circuit?
Yes finally and thanks for waiting. The pics below are of the one I damaged and am not using, but I kinda soldered it all back together purely so you guys can see how it looks without all my crazy extendo wires all over it.

I tried to get in there and get pics of the cap and resistor values where I could as well...

@PedalPCB pinging you here to make sure you see this!

Attachments

• IMG_8468.jpg
    IMG_8468.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8469.jpg
    IMG_8469.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8470.jpg
    IMG_8470.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8471.jpg
    IMG_8471.jpg