Re-painting pedal knobs to custom colors

jbrrrr

Hi all - I didn't see any threads discussing this particularly so I wanted to put the feelers out to see if anyone has gone down this path before.

I'm in the process of putting together a pedal in an enclosure that I've finished, and thinking that it'd be rad if I could find knobs in a specific 60's avocado green - and based on what I've found available, there's maybe one or two shades of each color available at best and that's all you've got to pick from. I've been thinking about buying a small stash of simple plastic knobs with set screws, something with the indicator line actually recessed into the knob, and re-painting them myself to fit whatever I'm building at the moment. My first thought was just buying whatever Krylon color seemed to fit whatever I was aiming for, and then I realized I could potentially be buying a lot of cans of colors I'm not using all that often, so my next thought was a to invest in a modest airbrush rig, and mix the colors myself.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think with airbrushing, it'd be better to spray primer first and then re-paint them, and obviously remove the set screw beforehand - but has anyone done much of this? Any advice on paints that work better than others, clear coating, or whether it's way too difficult to end up with a clean looking knob at the end of it.

Ultimately, if I can end up with a finished knob that looks 90% like it may have come from the factory that way, I'd be satisfied regardless of the extra work involved.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share on this.

I think you may be chasing your own tail here. Why not buy knobs close to the color you want to use and try to match your enclosure to the knob rather than the other way around? I can almost guarantee it’ll be easier to do it that way than what you’re proposing.

I think you may be chasing your own tail here. Why not buy knobs close to the color you want to use and try to match your enclosure to the knob rather than the other way around? I can almost guarantee it’ll be easier to do it that way than what you’re proposing.

I'm sure it would be, and I know it probably sounds unnecessarily complex, but I've started finishing enclosures by wrapping them in old fabric scraps instead of painting them, and since I'm not making them at scale, each one is kind of a unique thing. It'd be great if I wasn't stuck between the one or two available variations of the color that I'd like to use.

It may be less work in the end to try resin casting the knobs from scratch, which I'm not opposed to either.

Back