Reading clock frequency with DMM

Diynot

Mkay folks, just upgraded my ancient $5 Walmart DMM to a fancier Lowe’s (yeah, I know, that’s Walmart too) Ideal 61-337 digital DMM. So, how do I use the frequency setting to measure pin 4 of the mn3102 in my VIIB?

Last edited:
Using the "V" & "COM" probe connections, set the dial to "Hz%" and find the range. The "COM" probe lead goes to ground. (At least, according to the manual.)

Yeah, tried that. Took the black lead to the output, the enclosure, to pin 3 and I get one of three results either 0.000, OL, or very briefly a reading. Any suggestions on getting a consistent reading so I can actually bias this build? The chip is a verified working mn3102, at least the pedal was working before I started monkeying with it.

Last edited:
What is the range of your DMMs frequency counter? I had a nightmare trying to set up the ADA Flanger with my old DMM before I realized it wasn't measuring past 32kHz. I got a VC97 DMM and that one works for setting up BBDs.

Funny you should mention that one since it’s the one I just hit the “buy now” button on at Amazon before coming back here to check for anymore responses. Luckily it had a $7 coupon on it. It was meant to be

Back