Recent Builds (1590A Analog Delay, Chorus, Spring Reverb & More)

dan.schumaker

Been a long time since I've posted a few of my builds... here is what I've been up to.

Hologram Mod - This is a dual BBD analog delay with modulation in a 1590A. It took a few iterations to finally get right, but I'm happy with where I landed on this. It has 600ms through 2 MN3005's, a charge pump to boost the internal voltage to +15v and a sweet sounding modulation section. The majority of the circuit is SMD work on the bottom side of the board. Thanks to Bio77 for the micro knobs on this one!
2282-Hologram-Mod.jpg

Cavalier Stereo - This is another one of those that took a few iterations, but still isn't 100% there. This chorus pedal is based on the Arion SCH-1. This was originally designed to be a stereo chorus in a 1590A (using a TRS jack), but I didn't take into account when using a non-TRS jack, the output signal being grounded... It works perfectly fine when using a TRS jack or when having two separate jacks for each output. So I broke down and put it in a non-mini sized enclosure. It works exactly as expected and sounds very lush. The switch chooses if the second output jack is either an un-modulated signal or a chorus signal.
2281-Cavalier-Stereo.jpg

Cavalier 1590A - Since it was made for a 1590A enclosure, I was going to make it work in a 1590A. I omitted the output for the stereo out, so it is the normal chorus out. I added a few caps to a switch to add in three depth levels to the modulation. Again, its a super lush chorus, and I really like having the tone control on this to help set the sound exactly where I need it to be.
2283-Cavalier-1590A.jpg

Whirlpool - This is the first revision of a Spring Reverb pedal in a 1790NS enclosure. This is using the Blue Accutronics reverb tank. It is a very deep and lush sounding reverb, that fits perfectly on any pedalboard. The second footswitch is to select between two different mix levels. This is a really cool sounding reverb, something different than the Belton brick we all know. My only problem with this was as soon as I ordered the board, I thought that I should have added a tremolo to it, making it like the back-end of a Blackface Fender...
2268-Whirlpool.jpg

[youtube]

Whirlpool Deluxe - ...So I added tremolo to it. The Tremolo is based on the Shoot-the-Moon Tremolo, so it has a very solid sounding tremolo. To add the trem, I omitted the dual mix selection. These two effects work perfectly together, it is a really fun pedal to play around with.
2290-Whirlpool-Deluxe.jpg

Paladin - The Paladin is a Fuzz/Overdrive combo pedal. This has a Tube Screamer Overdrive and a Germanium Fuzz Face in the same enclosure. This is to emulate what Eric Johnson does on his pedalboard. I have an order selector on here so you can put the Fuzz or the Tube Screamer first. The Fuzz Face has a pickup simulator circuit in front of it so that it will play nicely when it has the TS in front of it.
2288-Paladin.jpg

Paradigm Shift - The Paradigm Shift is a tricked out Univibe style pedal. This There are controls for Treble and Bass to adjust the high and low end of the signal, an overall level control so you don't have any volume drop. The Mix control takes you from all-dry to all-wet vibrato signal. This is a great sounding Vibe pedal.
2289-Paradigm-Shift.jpg

Slingshot - The Slingshot is based on a FL-9 Flanger, but in a Mini sized enclosure. This is a really cool and lush sounding Flanger pedal, with nice chorus sounds in here as well. It definitely gives that movement and filtering that you expect in a Flanger.
2272-Slingshot.jpg

[youtube]

Lodestone Delay - The Lodestone Delay is like the Hologram, but instead of BBD's, it has a PT2399 delay chip and modulation. This is a really sweet sounding delay pedal, probably one of my favorite PT2399 circuits. It is very warm and tape-like in its repeats, and the modulation sounds nice and lush.
2275-Lodestone.jpg

Last edited:
I am blown away!

Do you have a charge-pump on the Palladin? If so, why? How stable is the bias on the FF circuit?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I am blown away!

Do you have a charge-pump on the Palladin? If so, why? How stable is the bias on the FF circuit?

Inquiring minds want to know.

There is a charge pump in there. It is being used as a negative voltage inverter to supply the -9V for the GE transistors. The bias is pretty stable on the Fuzz (or at least as stable as any other GE FF style pedal).

99% of Ge FFs are thermally unstable. Sure, you can dial-in the bias from the front panel, but it drifts when the temperature changes.

You can save some board space and ditch the charge pump. Why not build an NPN FF? In the old days, pedal builders used PNP because that's what was available. If you're hard-over on building a PNP FF, you can turn it upside down (electrically). I built two Ge FFs; one NPN and one PNP. They sound the same.

impressive builds, you got those 1590a packed in there good. I've never actually done a 1590A build, but if you can fit all that maybe I can fit a simple fuzz.

Back